Part 26 - Two lines

The main door wasn't locked when he walked in. There was utter silence and he walked to the bedroom confused only to see her sitting on the couch, her head between her knees that she had held close to her chest.

“Anika” He called sitting beside her and she raised her head to look at him. Her eyes were bloodshot.

“I finally found out what was happening to me since last few days. Why all the throwing up and tiredness” She told as her voice choked.

“What happened?” He asked in a whisper and tears rolled down her eyes. She opened her right palm in front of him and his heart stopped beating for a second seeing the two red lines in the pregnancy testing stick.

“Anika, how did this——?” He asked shocked and she shook her head with tears rolling down her eyes.

He took the stick from her and checked it again.

“There might be a mistake” He told and she shook her head.

“Go and check that trash box. I checked thrice” She told holding back her sobs.

“Anika, how did this——” He told shocked.

She hugged him as she burst out crying for she didn't know what else to do. He held her close to him as he still couldn't process whatever happened. His heart thumped more than what he felt ever in his life.

He removed her hold from him abruptly before rushing to the drawer and taking the medicine box. Opening the box, he dropped the contents on the floor. She wiped her tears as she looked at him.

“What the hell is this then?” He asked showing her a sachet and she walked to him before taking it from him.

“Th-this is morning after pills” She told blinking her tears.

“Exactly. Didn't you have this pill that evening itself? Then how?” He asked and she nodded.

“Shivaay this is not pill I had that day. I had a green one” She told in the verge of crying again.

“What?”

“This one. I had this one” She told as she bent down to take another sachet.

“Huh?”

“And this is the vitamin tablet” She told as she sat down on the floor lifelessly.

“Why do I even call myself a doctor? I'm a fool who is good for nothing. A fool——A fool” She hit her head as she cried.

“How couldn't you differentiate between a vitamin tablet and a morning after pill?” He asked frustrated.

“I don't know” She told broken and he sat beside her before holding her in the circle of his arms.

“What if this happened some other time?” He asked and she shook her head.

“My calculation is accurate from the time of missed monthly cycle. I thought it's the side effects of that pill”

“Try to remember. What happened that evening after I got the pills from the chemist? How did it get mixed up between vitamin tablets?”

“I don't know Shivaay” She cried holding his shirt.

Her breath hitched as she finally realised what had happened that evening. She raised her head to look at him with tears rolling down her eyes.

“I quickly took a tablet from the sachet without checking the label because you were saying something and I was listening to that. You brought vitamin tablets along with it that day right” She hit her head with her palms “I'm a fool! A big fool” She cried.