Fragments of a Long Lost Memory

Philip's P.O.V.
*****

"How was it with Blake?" Kate asked, taking a sip. I let out a deep breath, silently staring at her directly in the eyes. By my look, she frowned, looking down. "I'm sorry. I see it didn't go well." She apologized, and her ears drooped down to her long straps.

"You don't have to apologize, you know? You didn't do anything wrong." I said, turning to her with raised ears. I couldn't help but stare, transfixed, watching as Kate slipped a soft smile, giving a contented sigh as the wind blew through her cerulean blue fur. It exulted a genuine smile outside my imperfect, ill-fated self, bringing along a streak of a scarlet blush, though it was stiff from not being able to smile after five damn years.

I felt good, even though that it was raining, causing lesser costumers than before, for we're almost the only ones staying here from the rain. I was glad to have some time to spare alone with her.

"It's beautiful, even though the sight is covered from the rain's fog," Kate murmured. "-which made it amazing than before..."

"It is." I replied, placing my paws on the balcony's railing. I felt myself blush once again, finding myself staring into her eyes. Her heraldic, blue colored eyes. It wasn't long until I managed to utter a sentence that struck me with surprize without even realizing it.

"Of course, you're even more beautiful," I sang, unaware. Her jaw dropped, and she blushed without turning away. I returned the blush, and I could feel that mine was mainly darker than hers.

"Y-You t-think so?" Kate chatechized, dumbfounded. I nodded in agreement, complete with a bashful grin.

"Yeah. What makes you think you're not?"

"I... s-sorry. Nobody... c-called me beautiful before. All of course, except for my p-parents..." The ice fox whispered, gloomily. "Anyway, t-thanks, actually. It kind of makes me feel better, I suppose, even though it reminds me of them..."

I frowned, realizing I made her feel subtly... bad. I know she's been trying to forget all about those terrible memories, letting her cheerful personality cloak them all out, hidden deep down, and reminding her about them could be heart-wrenching. She had suffered worse off than me. I knew what I had to do, and even if I don't like it, I had to; for her.

Even it'll anger Norsoe, I had no other choice than to take the risk. I wouldn't mind at all. I always take risks. Walking up to Kate, I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her close. I thought she'd melt into the hug like she always did, but instead, she stiffened with her ears standing on end. That only made me tighten the warm embrace, until she gave in, settling her head as snugly as she could on my shoulder, hugging me back.

"I know that I may not like hugs as you do..." I whispered softly to her ear. "But you need it. You really need it."

I felt her heart beat lightly against my chest, following into a rhythmic beating along with mine. Fervent emotions sent warm, enlightening soothingness through my veins, somehow making me less nervous around her, nevertheless surging a deep glow on my cheeks. I smiled, letting go, lightly nuzzling the crystal atop her head. She had a light blush tinted across her face as she returned the smile, setting a paw on the side of my head.

"Thank you," Kate whispered quietly, rubbing her paw lightly on my cheek. "But you didn't have to. It's alright."

Then I could hear her soft giggle as she put a paw on her own muzzle, trying to suppress her laughter.

"What are you laughing at?" I asked.

"T-There's some c-coffee stain on your c-cheek!" She cried, giggling uncontrollably. I snorted, bringing a paw up and tried to groom away the mess myself.