Light of Comfort

Katherine's P.O.V.
*****

Norsoe's voice coiled me in pain. I would scream and try to get him out of my head, but he resisted and continued to torment me. I couldn't slept for half a night, all because of that fearful menace. It was traumatic. No words could express how horrendous and painful it is. I was bloated with fear. Tears drenched both of my face and paws. It was hard.

You will meet the same fate as your parents. Clawed into shreds by cruel fate, bound in chains of slavery, crying for mercy! Lie wait, and watch as I'll break every single bone in your body, including that precious little heart of yours, little hero. Just wait, and that will happen...

You'll fail. You will never succeed...

Watch as my nightmares invade your pretty little dreams...

"No! Stop, please!" I would cry out in tearing rage. Devastated, I fell to the floor, covering my face to muffle my cries of anguish. What if I'll fail, placing the world and everyone else in jeopardy, and dissapoint the legendaries?

Failure...

You will fail...

Just like your parents...

You will fail...

"N-No... s-stop..." I stammered, curling myself into a tight ball, crying hardly. What if he's right...? I was vulnerable as a newborn cub. Deep inside, I'm weak. And he was right about one thing.

Nightmares had finally invaded my dreams.

With muffled cries, I slowly stood up, wiping my tears away with my paw. I need to hide it now so Lonnie, Blake and Philip wouldn't find out. I blinked gently and padded towards the door, passing by a mirror on my right. I froze and stared. My eyes looked nothing more than a lifeless rock; they had turned lackluster after all I've been through.

My scarf almost matched the dullness of my eyes, for the cloth was drenched in bitter tears, bitter as Norsoe's rock-hard heart. With gritted teeth, I tore my gaze aside, tears threatening to flow back and leak.

My heart ached even more I desperately tried to hide the pain and hold back the tears, taking almost entirely of my willpower. I chose to conceal it, rather than spread it like unwanted dust; I couldn't be such a burden to them.

My ears pricked silently and swayed gently with the wind, leaving me with a forlorn grimace. Deep inside, I could swear that I could still hear Norsoe's mocking laugh, and it was not helping me in my situation.

Nobody deserves to be in the same paws as mine, as it was hard to be me. Seeing those who had an easy life, away from danger is kind of heart-wrenching to watch, as life was unfair for this kind of girl who was supposed to save the world, living a life in peril. It was unfair. I wish that it would unfold into something better for me, but right now...

It just can't.

Wiping the tears once more, I opened the door and wandered outside. It was early, as the sun was still under the horizon. I knew Blake was still under the spell of his peaceful slumber, so I let him be, trying to make this walk worthwhile to set aside the horrible thoughts that resided inside my head.

But it just won't. Seeing my parents in great agony was bloodcurdling, even when it was just inside a nightmare. I couldn't believe that Norsoe had done this. Paws padding quietly, I sighed, ears flicking down, tears weltering my face once more. Dreadful memories played continously, over and over like a broken record. It was horrible.