Part 8

NICO

I leave quickly, out the door of the infirmary and round to the side. I lean against the wall, lean down till I'm sitting on the floor. My head is heavy. Breathing strained. I close my eyes.
All my instincts tell me to leave. He's being so invasive; so curious. He's asking questions that I don't want to answer.
I pause for a moment. I realise that that's not why I'm panicked. I don't mind the questions - I'm not used to them, but I don't mind.
I like him. I like him.
'No.' I say to myself, 'No. Nope. No.'
I brush my hair out of my face, try to regain some posture. I head over to the camp gym, and throw myself into a workout. I try not to think. I don't think about Will. I definitely don't.
I've been boxing with the punching bag for the last half an hour when I become aware of someone watching me. I take my gloves off carefully, not giving myself away, and turn and tackle whoever it is.
And then I see who it is. I've tackled Will to the ground. My arm is still against his neck. I quickly stand up and back off of him. He sits up, coughing.
'I'm so sorry.' I say quickly, quietly, 'I don't...I'm sort of...paranoid.'
'It's fine.' He says, quickly. He stands up.
'Are You okay?' I ask, 'I didn't mean...Sorry.'
'I should have coughed or something. It's my fault.' He says as he rubs his neck carefully. It's already turning red.
'How long where you...?'
'Not long.' He says, quickly, 'not long. I just...I wanted to apologise. If I overstepped.'
'Oh.' I say. I don't know how to react. How do I act around him now? I don't meet his eyes, 'it's fine.'
'I know I've been pushy. And I'm sorry. I'll back off. I just...I want you to know that if you need anything, I'm here.' He says, 'I mean, not here. I don't think I've ever actually been here before. I mean the infirmary.'
'Right.' I say, repressing a smile, 'you haven't been here before?'
'I prefer to run outside. Gyms stress me out. Always so sweaty and gross and not to mention the amount of germs here...' He trails off, looking around. It feels odd making conversation with him. I'm so aware of how I sound, how I stand.
'Yeah, well.' I say, 'germs don't really bother me.'
'I can imagine.' He says, nodding. I look at him, confused, 'I mean, bigger fish and all.'
'Oh. Right.' I say, nodding, 'didn't really have time to worry about that.' I look to Will and see him smiling. I feel my cheeks burning and turn away. I pick up the gloves and put them back where I got them. I'm intensely aware that Will is still standing, watching. My shirt is soaked in sweat. I must stink. I've never even though about this before.
I head to the door, where he stands. We walk outside together and hover outside.
'I should...' I say, with no end to the sentence.
'Yes. Yeah, I should go back to the infirmary.' He says, 'lives to save and all.'
'Right.' I say, smiling a little. He lingers for a moment longer, as if about to say something more, before turning and heading back to the infirmary.