Part 46

NICO

Hazel and Will get along better than I do with either of them. I never noticed how similar they were. By the time we've reached Reyna's workspace she's already offered to show Will around.
'You go say hi to Reyna, I'll get Will settled in, and we can meet up for dinner.' Hazel says.
'Is that...are you okay with that?' I ask Will.
'Suits me fine.' He says, 'I'll see you later.'
Hazel links arms with him and they head off together. I feel bad for putting him in a position where he has to lie to my sister, but I know it'll only be for a while.
I knock, and open the door.
'Just a sec.' Reyna says, without looking up.
'Well I can come back later.' I say. She looks up instantly, and stands up from her chair.
'Oh my God, Nico, I completely lost track of time.' She says, moving over to me and hugging me, 'Gods I missed you.'
'I missed you too.' I say. And I really have. More than I realised.
'So what's going on?' She asks.
'What?' I ask, panicked.
'Don't mess me about, Nico, something's up. You've been calling all the time but never for longer than five minutes. You keep going from one subject to the next-'
'Thought that was just the ADHD.' I say.
'Nico, I know you. What's wrong?' She asks. And she asks so gently. I take a deep breathe.
'I'm gay.' I say. She smiles slightly.
'That's not it.' She says.
'What?' I ask again.
'There's more.'
'That's all you're saying?' I ask, surprised.
'It changes nothing, Nico. I love you just the same.' She says, 'I'm glad you told me though. It means a lot. But there's something else you're hiding.'
'I...have a boyfriend.' I say, and she opens her mouth surprised. She clearly wasn't expecting it, 'and he's here. With Hazel. But Hazel doesn't know yet, so you can't tell her.'
'I won't, don't worry. A boyfriend, Nico? Wow.' She says, 'what's his name?'
'Will.' I say, 'he's an Apollo kid and he's really sweet and kind and I think you'll really like him.'
'I do too.' She agrees, 'why haven't you told Hazel?'
I sit down in one of the chairs to the side.
'I was about to. And then I just couldn't.' I say, 'I don't know. I just...It was a different time. And I know that better than anyone. I know Hazel loves me and I know she won't mind, but...I just...What if it takes her longer? To be okay with it?'
Reyna kneels down in front of me, and takes my hands, 'then it takes her a little longer. But Nico, this girl loves you more than anything. And she doesn't love you because of your sexuality. She loves you because of who you are. Being gay doesn't define you. She knows that. All she wants is for you to be happy. Are you happy?'
'I'm so happy.' I say, 'I really love him.' I falter and she does too. Neither of us were expecting that.
'I can't wait to meet him.' She says, hiding her surprise.
'Yeah.' I say, 'yes...Yes.'
'So how'd you meet?'