Part 33

NICO

I stand in my cabin, comprehending what just happened. What I just did.
'Goddammit.' I say as I turn and punch the wall, over and over. But then I stop. Compose myself. It's better this way. It's better for me and it's definitely better for Will. I would destroy him.
It's fine. It's fine. I'll go to Camp Jupiter. Reyna's there and Hazel's there. No one will have that initial wariness of me like everyone here does.
I start packing. Forcing all my clothes into the rucksack I have. There's no point sticking around here. There's no one to say goodbye to.
I leave my cabin, clutching my rucksack and start heading over to Thalia's tree. I'll hitchhike. Or walk. I don't care.
But when I get to the edge of camp, I can't leave. I can't bring myself to just walk away. For the first time in so long, I have something to stay for. I stand at the edge of camp, clutching my bag still. I brace myself. And I turn back around.
Back into camp, and back past Thalia's tree. Past all the cabins, over to the infirmary. I push the doors open.
Will stands at the far end, facing away from me and talking to Kayla. She looks to me, and he turns round. I freeze for a moment before walking over to him, trying my best not to overthink it.
He goes to say something, but I just kiss him. I bring his head down to mine. My arms resting around his shoulders. And I kiss him. Passionately and with everything I have.
He's thrown for a moment, but only a moment. He lifts me up, kissing me back.
I don't care who's watching. I don't care who knows. I hold him as tight as I can and don't stop kissing him till I can't breathe anymore.
'Are we going to do this then?' He asks once we pull apart. I nod quickly.
'Let's do it.' I say. I'm certain.
'Will you be my boyfriend?' He asks, quietly and carefully. I nod again, smiling. I've never been so happy.
'If you want.' I say.
'I definitely want that.' He says, and kisses me again. I don't let him go. Just clutch onto him. He's safe and I trust him. And I don't want to let go.