Part 29

WILL

As it gets later and later I start to doubt Nico's coming. But then I see him, in his brown jacket that he always wears and his hair overgrown in front of his eyes.
I see him look around, anxiously, before landing on me. His lips twitch a little, almost a smile but not quite.
I set it up so that Nico is on the end of the row, and I just beside him. That way he doesn't have to have anyone else on his side.
'You've outdone yourself.' He says as he sits beside me. Everyone's talking so there's no chance of anyone overhearing.
'Thought you'd like it.' I say. I pass him a burger I'd gotten before sitting down, 'eat.'
'You got me a burger?' He asks.
'I figured you'd probably have forgotten to eat since the unplanned start to the day.' I say. He blushes slightly, clearly still not quite having processed us sleeping in the same bed last night. He takes the burger.
'You're not wrong.' He says, and takes a bite, 'so what happens now?'
'What do you mean?'
'Like...is this it?' He asks. It hits me then that he's never actually been to one of these.
'It's like a talent show. Sort of. A lot of my siblings do music...now that I'm thinking about it it's kind of just a chance for my siblings to show off. But the Stolls always do a stand up bit, and a group of Aphrodite kids sometimes do a dance.' I explain. I look at him then, and see the look on his face, 'I promise you're going to hate it.'
He laughs and takes another bite of his burger. I wonder whether he regrets coming. I didn't actually think about whether he'd enjoy it or not. It's so clearly not his thing.
'Sorry I made you come.' I say. He turns to me surprised.
'Why are you sorry?'
'You're genuinely going to hate it.' I say, 'I can't think of anything less your vibe.'
'And what's my vibe?' He asks, smiling.
'I don't know. Death. Swords.'
'Ah, yes. Death and swords.' He agrees. I see him bite his lip, stopping a smile, 'I'm glad I came.'
'Let's see how long that lasts.' I say, as my sisters come out to begin the show.
'Can't wait.' He says quietly as voices start to hush. The first performance is Reve and my two sisters singing and playing a song they wrote. It's good, they always are. But all I can think of is Nico beside me and how much I just want to hold his hand. Such a simple thing. But I know I can't. I know he'd freak out.
I understand him not wanting anyone to know. And I understand him not wanting to put a label on us. I'm fine with it. But it doesn't stop me from wanting a little bit more.
I settle for moving my leg closer to his, so that they touch. So he knows I'm there. He moves his leg slightly, acknowledging me. We sit the whole performance like that, knees just touching.