Part 9

WILL

I work for hours, unaware of the day passing. And then, for the first time in days, no one needs any help. No one needs emergency care or constant watch.
Reve, Kayla and I stand, staring at the beds. It's insane. It's quiet.
'Are we forgetting something?' Reve asks.
'This feels wrong.' Kayla agrees.
'Are we sure he's just sleeping?' Reve asks, pointing to an Ares boy.
'Reve, seriously?' I ask, but Kayla goes over quickly to check.
'Just sleeping.' She assures him.
'Gods.' I say, looking at everyone asleep or content. Half the beds are empty now, but there's nothing urgent. I turn to Reve and Kayla, 'you guys did good.'
'Not so bad yourself.' Reve says back.
'You should take the night. Join in capture the flag.' I say, 'you guys deserve it.'
'No way in hell.' Kayla says, 'we've already discussed this.'
'Yeah, you're team captain.' Reve says.
'What?' I ask.
'We figured you needed a break.'
'And capture the flag is a break?' I ask.
'It's fun.' Kayla offers, 'we can handle everything here.'
'Yeah, in the nicest possible way, we don't need you.' Reve says.
'I don't...I really don't think I should...' I start.
'You don't trust us?' Kayla asks.
'Obviously I do, I just...I don't know...'
'Look.' Reve says, 'we get it. You don't want to leave and have someone else die. We get it. But we're good. Everyone is stable. We have everything under control.' He insists.
'Besides,' Kayla says, 'Apollo hasn't won capture the flag in years. We need a victory.'
'I hardly think I'm the leader for that.' I say.
'Well, you better start planning then.' Reve says, 'Because you're the only leader we've got. And we will not accept you back if you lose.'