Part 38

NICO

I wake up suddenly. Another nightmare. Not the worst I've had, but still enough to stop me from going back to sleep. I check the time, 5 AM. Will might well be awake by now. Or waking soon. I might as well give the infirmary a try.

It's fairly empty. One kid is asleep on a bed to the left, but aside from that I can't see anyone. And then I hear retching noises from behind a curtain.

'Jesus, Will, why didn't you come sooner?' I hear Kayla's voice.

'I thought I was getting better.' Will replies. I make a beeline for the curtain.

'Yeah, this definitely looks like you're getting-' I pull the curtain open. Kayla and Will turn to me, 'better.'

'Nico, I'm fine.' Will says quickly, before throwing up into the bin again.

'What happened? Why's he throwing up?' I ask, by his side in an instant. All I can do is place my hand on his back, in my lame attempt to comfort him.

'It's the concussion. He clearly hasn't bee resting enough. Clearly hasn't been taking it seriously.' Kayla replies.

'Bite me, Kayla, I've been taking it seriously.' He says.

'So why are you throwing up still?' she asks. He can't answer, as he goes to throw up again.

'It's the light I think. Concussions make you sensitive to light.' Kayla offers, 'Everywhere in camp has windows and hardly any curtains. Our cabin is basically all glass. It's ridiculous.'

'I thought you guys liked that.' I say.

'Will does. But he's one of the few.' She says, 'He needs to be on bed rest for a couple days. No light. No movement. No loud noises, nothing.'

'Gods.' I say, having a sudden realization, 'Okay, I know how this is going to sound, but you literally just described my cabin.'

'I hardly think Chiron would go for that.' Kayla says.

'I can sleep somewhere else.' I offer quickly, 'But if he needs dark and quiet...that's my cabin.'

'That could work.' she says.

'Kayla...' Will says.

'You okay?' she asks.

'Head.' He says.

'Will?' I ask.

'Sorry.' He says, and slumps forward. I manage to take hold of him before he hits the floor.

'Gods, okay.' Kayla says, let's get him settled in your cabin.

'Is he going to be okay?' I ask.

'He'll be fine, I promise.' she says, 'He just needs to be forced to get better. You two are quite alike in that way.'