Part 11

WILL

My team goes into the forest first. Every spreads out and goes to their positions while Nico and I head right into the depths to hide our flag.
'Where do I put it?' I ask, looking around.
'Here.' He says, holding out his hand and leaning his sword against the nearest tree. I give it to him and he starts climbing the nearest tree, effortlessly, 'don't touch the sword.' He warns.
He goes from one branch to the next till he's right at the top. He ties it onto the highest branch, hidden by the leaves.
'The thing about Percy,' He says as he starts climbing back down. He gets to about three metres off of three floor before dropping down beside me, 'is that he sucks at climbing trees.'
'Good to know.' I say. Nico picks up his sword again and swings it round. Familiarising himself with it again, 'does it feel weird?'
'What?'
'Using the sword again?' I ask.
'Not really. I thought it would be. But I'm so used to it.' He says. He swings the sword round again, it's kind of amazing watching him, so effortless.
I take out my own sword, a blunt, half broken, camp-owned one. I only have it because everyone's issues one for capture the flag. Nico sees it and smiles to himself.
'What?' I ask.
'No, nothing.' He says quickly, 'it's just...that sword is ridiculous.'
'Like I said earlier, fightings not really my thing.' I explain. He looks at me for a moment, thinking to himself. I can't tell what's going on in his head.
'Here.' He says, turning his sword around and passing me the handle, 'try it out.'
'Are you sure?' I ask. I know how protective some people get over their swords. And I feel like Nico would be especially so.
'Sure.' He says, 'just be careful with it.'
I take it gently, and it's surprisingly light. It feels comfortable to hold. He takes my sword off me, and places blade against blade.
'Take it slow.' He says, and moves the sword round to the other side, so I can counter. A sharp noise echoes through the forest. He smiles a little, 'Good. Now if I jab...' he does it, slowly, 'put the sword beneath mine and lift up.' I do as he says and block his strike.
'You make it look easy.' I say.
'It is.' He says, 'it's second nature by now. Try attack me.'
'What if I hurt you?'
'I think I can manage.' He says. I stand, hesitant for a moment, before bringing the sword round and towards him. Effortlessly, he blocks me. Again and again.
'Alright.' I say, out of breath and laughing, 'Okay, you win. I can't.'
'You're getting better.' He insists, putting my sword down and leaning against a tree. I look up at him and find he's not out of breathe at all.
And then, in an instant, I see him perk up. His eyes narrow, he looks focused. He holds out his hand.
'Sword.' He whispers. I pass it to him quickly, and he steps in front of me, looking into the forest.
'Is it Percy?' I ask.
'Not a person.' He says, without explanation, 'can you climb?'
'Can I What?'
'Climb. Can you climb the tree?' He asks again.
'I don't...I guess.' I say.
'Do it.' He says. His voice is serious and I don't question it. I start climbing. I settle on a branch a couple metres above him and look down. I hear a low growling but can't see what it is.
'Dammit.' Nico says, thrusting his sword into the dirt beside him.
'What are you doing?' I ask, 'it could hurt you.'
'It's a dog. I'm not going to hurt a dog. It's got a collar, it's probably just run off from one of the houses up the road.' He says, staring ahead.
'Can dogs climb?' Nico asks. I try to think but I have no idea.
'I don't think so?' I say, 'but maybe.'
'Okay. Okay.' He says, seemingly hyping himself up for something. The dog still growls.
'Why are you going to do?'
'Climb the tree. Before it attacks. Hopefully.' He says, 'okay.'
'Nico.' I say, wary.
'I'll be fine.' He says. And in an instant, without warning, he starts climbing up to where I sit. I here him shout and swear, but he works his way to my branch. The dog barks at us from below, but doesn't seem to be trying to climb the tree.
'Are You okay?' I ask, and he nods, but I see his leg. Bleeding from a bite.
'I've had worse.' He says.
'Let me see.' I say. He hesitated for a moment, but rests his leg in my lap. I carefully lift his left trouser leg above his knee to see the bite, 'does it hurt?'
'Not bad.' He says. I look to him, unsure whether to take his word. He's clearly got a far deeper understanding of pain than most people - what's not bad to him, could be agony for someone else. I take out some ambrosia and give it to him.
'Thanks.' He says, biting into it. His leg tenses a little less. It doesn't seem to be bothering him as much. I hear his heart beat settle down.
'It could still be infected.' I say, 'I need stuff from the infirmary to clean it, but I guess it can wait till this dog gets bored of us.'
'Well I guess the dog is our new defence.' He says, looking down at it.
'Seems so.' I agree.