Part 47

WILL

Hazel is maybe the sweetest person I've ever met. I feel like over known her years, just because she's so overwhelmingly nice.
We head to dinner where she introduces me to Frank.
'This is my boyfriend, Frank.' She says, sitting beside him, as I sit opposite, 'Frank, this is Will. A friend of Nico's.'
'A friend of Nico's?' He asks, surprised.
'Hard to believe?' I ask.
'Nico's not exactly a friend kind of guy.' Hazel says, gently.
'I definitely get that.' I say, 'we only became friends because I forced him into the infirmary after the battle.'
'You were his doctor?' Hazel asks.
'I was. He is a terrible patient.' I say, as Frank laughs.
'Well, for what it's worth, thank you. For looking after him.' Hazel says, 'he's kind of terrible at looking after himself. I like that he's got a doctor on his side.'
'Useful friend to have.' Frank agrees.
'You talking about me?' Nico asks, sitting next to me, with Reyna.
'You must be Will.' She says, looking me up and down. Nico was right, she is incredibly intimidating, 'I'm Reyna.'
'Nice to meet you, Reyna.' I say, 'Nico talks about you a lot.'
'All good things?' She asks.
'Fifty, fifty.' Nico replies.
'Will, have you seen the view from over there?' Reyna asks. I shake my head.
'Not yet.'
'Great, join me.' She says, standing up and waiting for me to follow. I look to Nico quickly before standing up and following her lead, 'back in bit.'
'Go easy.' Nico says.
We wander over and I can feel my palms starting to sweat. I don't know what she wants. What Nico's told her.
'So.' She says, 'Nico's told me a little about you.'
'Right.' I say, 'what...exactly?'
She turns and smiles.
'You're his boyfriend.' She says, 'if I understand?'
'Um. Yes. I...yeah.' I say.
'You can relax, I'm not here to interrogate you.' She says.
'Okay. That's good.' I say, then quickly, 'not that I thought you were...I mean...Nico just talks really highly of you.'
'It's important to him that we get on.' She says, 'I agree. Nico tells me you're a child of Apollo.'
'Yeah. I got the doctor genes.' I say.
'Nico said. He also said you were the one who looked after him after the war.' She says, as we finally reach the view.
'I was just doing my job.' I say.
'You can do your job and still receive thanks.' She looks at me, 'so thank you.'
'I should thank you too.' I say, 'for saving the world and all.' She laughs a little.
'I forget every now and then.' She says. 'Nico told me he was happy with you. The happiest he's been in a long time.'
'He did?'
'He did. And that's all I care about. It's all that any of us do; Hazel, Percy, Jason...we've all seen him at his lowest and we all know the toll the last few years have taken on him. You make him happy, I can see that. And I'm glad he has you.'
'I...thank you.' I say. 'People used to talk about him a lot. How he was a loner and all...but, it's amazing - the people that care about him care so much. It's a little intimidating.'
'I can imagine. Gods I hope Percy didn't give you the if you hurt Nico talk.' She says, smiling.
'He didn't have to.' I reply, 'I've heard enough stories to be scared of that guy for the rest of my life.'
'He's not scary. He's just got a lot of power.' Reyna says.
'Well I suppose you're never really scared of the person, just the power they have. Like if you give someone a gun, or insane magic power over water, then they become pretty scary, pretty quick. Whoever they are.'
'You're right.' She says, 'he is scary, but you have nothing to fear, is what I mean. We all want what's best for Nico, and it seems you are what's best. However things turn out for the two of you, it's clear that right now you make each other happy.'