Part 22

NICO

I find Percy waiting for me. I do my best to act normal, but I can tell he honks something's up. He doesn't mention it though.
We start the assault course, and I do my best to to keep on his right so he won't see the hicky. But the course needs 360 degree vision, so I can't help turning round every now and then.
'Hold on.' Percy says, and I turn to him, panicked.
'What?' I ask.
'Look that way.' He points to my left. I bite the inside of my cheek.
'Why?'
'Do it.' Percy insists. We have a stare off, and eventually I turn to the right, 'Oh my God, it is a hicky.'
I look to the sky, internally cringing. I try to come up with some other random explanation, 'no. No.' Is all I can say.
'Who gave that to you?!' He asks. His smile is infuriating.
'No one.' I say.
'Is it someone in camp?' He asks.
'No one.' I insist.
'Nico, do you have a boyfriend?'
'No!' I turn to him, 'stop asking me questions.'
'I'm sorry but this is crazy.' He says, 'is there another gay person in camp?'
'Percy.' I warn.
'Obviously there is, because you have a hicky.' He says to himself, 'but who in the hell?'
'I'm going.' I say.
'Nico, come on.' He pleads, 'tell me.'
'I'm gone.' I say, climbing down to the ground.
'I'm not going to let this go.' He calls after me. I don't turn back, just raise both my middle fingers to him and continue walking.