Part 32

WILL

I open my eyes and instantly shut them again. The light is way too harsh in here.
'Kayla.' I call out. I bring a hand to my forehead, I can't stop hearing a dull ringing noise, 'Reve?' I try calling.
'Right the first time.' Kayla says, opening the curtain around my bed. I open my eyes slightly and she passes me a glass of water, 'drink.' I do as she says, 'what the hell were you thinking?'
'What?' I ask, still slightly out of it.
'Trying to break up that fight. Obviously that's not going to work.' She says.
'It was Clarisse. I had to try.' I say. I know she doesn't want to, but she drops it.
'Nico stepped in after you.' She says. I open my eyes fully now.
'He did?'
'He bought you in. Some people were talking about it, apparently he got them both down in about ten seconds.' She says. I see her purse her lips. Her eyes are wide.
'What?' I prompt.
'What?' She asks, surprised.
'You're not saying something.' I say.
'No I'm not.' She says quickly.
'What is it, Kayla?' I push.
'Nico knows I know.' She says.
'What?!' I exclaim, sitting up.
'I don't know, he just knew. I didn't say anything, I promise, but I don't think he took it well.' She says, 'I'm so sorry.'
'I need to go find him.' I say bringing my legs round and standing up, tentatively.
'Will, wait a couple minutes, please.' Kayla insists.
'I'll come back after.' I promise, already heading out.
It's getting dark outside. I'm not sure what time it is but I'm pretty sure Nico would be in his cabin.
I make a beeline, and knock at his door.
'Nico!' I call out, 'Ni-' he opens the door.
'What?' He says, bluntly.
'I'm sorry.' I say, 'I didn't tell Kayla, she figured it out. And you can trust her.'
'Trust isn't really my thing, Will.' He says sharply, 'you said you were okay with...whatever this is. You said that worked for you.'
'It does. I'm sorry, Nico.' I say again.
'Look, maybe we should just call it.' He says. I look up at him, surprised. He doesn't meet my eyes.
'Call it?'
'It's not like we were dating or anything.' He says, 'and you clearly want something more.'
I'm staring at him and for the first time I'm actually annoyed at him. For diminishing this. For trying to write it off.
'Yeah, you're right. I do.' I say, 'I like you. A lot. And I want to be with you. I want to date you. I want you to be my boyfriend.' He stands in his doorway, not reacting, 'and I get that it's hard for you. I get it. But you're the one causing problems for yourself right now. You're the only one fighting this, so...so, yeah. Maybe you're right. Maybe we should call it.'
I don't stay to see how he reacts, or if he reacts. I just turn and storm away. Angry and sad and still very much wanting to be with him.