Part 14

WILL

I do everything to take my mind off of Nico. I work ten times as hard as usual, and Kayla can definitely tell. Reve has taken a well earned break, so it's just us working.
'Alright you're doing everything here. There's hardly anything for me to do.' Kayla says, 'what is up with you?'
'Huh?' I ask, hardly hearing what she says.
'Will, seriously.' She says, stopping me from working, 'are you okay? You only ever go this hard if there are lives at stake, which there aren't, or you're trying to distract yourself.'
'I don't know what you're talking about.' I say, and continue my work. She lets it sit but I know she won't for long.
Eventually Reve comes back with our younger brother, Milo, who is pretty good in the infirmary. Usually we only have Reve, Kayla or me in at any time, so we're trying to ease it back to normal. We're leaving Reve alone for a couple hours with Milo while Kayla and I have lunch.
As soon as we're out the infirmary though, she's asking questions again.
'Is it a boy?' She asks, 'is there someone in camp? Do I know them?'
'It's no one.' I insist.
'I didn't think there was anyone gay at camp. Other than Christian, but he's not your type and not here right now.' She says.
'Kayla, drop it.' I insist. I turn away from her and as I turn ahead again, Nico is there. He's frozen, clearly not expecting to see us here, 'Nico. Hey.'
'Hi.' He says, quietly.
'This is my sister, Kayla.' I say.
'Nice to meet you.' She says, waving slightly.
'Hey.' He says. He doesn't meet my eyes. There's a moment of silence, before Nico just turns and walks away. No goodbyes or anything.
'That was...Oh my Gods.' She says, suddenly, 'Oh my Gods.' And I know she knows.
'Kayla, don't.'
'It's him. You like Nico.' She exclaims in a whisper, 'Oh my Gods.'
'Kayla, seriously. It's nothing. It's just a crush. We just kissed it was nothing.'
'You kissed?!' She asks, 'he's gay?!'
I realise I shouldn't have said anything. She can see my frustration.
'I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'll be quite. I won't tell anyone. So he likes you too?' She asks, clearly invested.
'I don't know.' I say, 'we kissed and after he just...I don't know. He just freaked and left.'
'Was it good?'
'What?'
'The kiss.' She says.
'Oh.' I say, thinking back to it, 'It kind of was.'
'Kind of?'
'No. I mean. It was really good. I don't know.' I say, getting flustered.
'I can't believe you like Nico. He's like...scary.' She says.
'He's not scary he's...'
'Don't you dare say misunderstood.' She says.
'Oh shut up.' I say, pushing her slightly, 'besides, I don't think he likes me. We kissed and he hasn't spoken to me since, so...I guess that's just it.'
'I always wondered what your type was, but I did not expect this.' She says.