Part 30

NICO

Once it's all wrapped up, the crowd starts to disperse. Will watches me, waiting for my verdict.
'It wasn't actually the worst thing.' I say.
'Really?' He asks, not believing me.
'Okay the Stolls were bad. But I like music. Your siblings are good at what they do. I can get behind that.' I say.
'Well I did not expect that.' He says.
The main crowd floods out ahead of us. Will and I meander behind.
'You have a night shift?' I ask.
'Ten till ten.' He replies.
'And you think I have bad sleeping patterns.' I laugh, 'that sounds horrible.'
'I'm used to it.' He says, 'it's just what I do.'
'I guess so.' I say. We pass by the infirmary, 'I thought you were working?'
'I'll walk you to your cabin.' He says, 'don't want you getting lost.'
We continue walking the short distance, stretching it out despite there being no conversation. We get to my door.
'Well.' He says.
'I had a good time.' I say, 'thanks for making me come.'
'Thanks for coming.' He says. He's quiet for a moment, 'I want to kiss you.' I panic for a moment, but he's quick to reassure me, 'I won't. Don't worry. I get it. I just want you to know, that if there was no one watching and hat didn't matter, I would kiss you right now.'
I don't know what to say. It's so sweet. I can't form any words.
'I'll see you in the morning.' He says. I don't even reply to that. Just smile a little. He smiles back, clearly aware of the effect he's had on me. He walks away and I go into my cabin, unable to think of anything but him.