Part 35

NICO

We sit by the dock, our feet hanging over the edge as water splashes up ever so slightly.
'Do you want to go in the canoe?' Will asks. I feel my cheeks go red.
'I...uh, I probably shouldn't.' I say, 'I can't swim.'
'At all?' He asks.
'I never learnt when I was younger, and then there was obviously that minor issue of Zeus and Poseidon hating me. I only ever go around water when Percy's around. He keeps me afloat.' I explain.
'I can't believe I actually forgot about that prophecy.' He says, 'it was so long ago.'
'I know.' I say, 'I forget sometimes too...But when Percy's back, let's do it.'
'It's a date.' He says. I smile to myself. It's a date.
'What...I...' I try to figure out how to phrase my question. He watches me, waiting patiently, 'like how does this work?' I ask.
'How does what work? Us?' He clarifies. I shrug.
'Yeah. Like...I don't know. This is new to me. What changes?' I ask.
'Well for one it means you're not allowed to see anyone else.' He says.
'Not much chance of that happening anyway.' I say, 'you're safe there.'
'Good to know.' He says, smiling, 'nothing has to change much if you don't want it to. I know you like your own space, and I know I work a lot usually, so there's no pressure there.' He reassures me.
'Good to know.' I say.
'And I know you're not a fan of PDA.' He says, 'so that's fully up to you. I know I can be...over-affectionate sometimes.'
'It's not the worst thing.' I say.
'No?' He asks.
'No.' I shake my head. I lean up to kiss him. Just briefly. But it feels good. To kiss him because I want to, and not care who might or might not see.
'So are you going to tell people?' He asks, attempting to be casual.
'I'm not looking forward to it, but yeah.' I say, but quickly realise that it sounds like I'm not happy to be in the relationship, 'not looking forward to it because they're going to be intrusive not-'
'I got it, don't worry.' He says reassuringly, 'take your time. But also, word travels fast here. You might just want to bite the bullet if you want to be the one to tell them.'
'Or I could just let them figure it out on there own.' I say, 'easier on my part.'
'That is up to you.' He says, 'as long as Percy doesn't give me the older brother talk.'
'Older brother talk?' I enquire, unfamiliar with the term.
'Oh come on, like you didn't have that talk with Frank. You know, if you hurt Hazel I'll kill you or whatever.'
'Oh no, yeah, I did that.' I confirm, 'got it. I don't think Percy would do that.'
'Are you kidding? I'm going to get like seven of them. Percy, Jason...definitely Reyna. Annabeth, probably.' He lists them off, 'should I be worried?'
'Maybe a little.' I say.