Please Don't Leave

Shawn's POV

"Shawn!" The door flung open, revealing a women with open arms. I immediately knew it was her mother, "come in, come in!" She ushered me in, moving out of the way.

I hugged her for what seemed to be quite a bit but it felt oddly comfortable.

The townhouse was beautiful on the end of a well known, kid friendly neighbourhood. The inside was cozy, pictures of Camila and who seemed to be her sister with their mother. In all of those photos, no man was to be seen.

To think of it, Camila never mentioned her father. It didn't appear odd to me but now that I thought of it, it didn't seem like Camila had too much to say about a father.

Her mother, Sinu, sat me down at the coffee table - handing me a cup of tea, taking a seat next to me.

She smiled softly at me as I admired the picture. It was Camila's graduation photo and she looked beautiful - as always, of course.

"She was the top of her class." Sinu's words bringing be back down to earth. I chuckled, it made sense. She was intelligent and had so much facts to spit out at any given moment.

I had asked where Camila was and she explained that she went to the grocery store.

"Don't take it personally if she seems a bit off or...distant." Her mother said, rummaging through the dishes. I cocked up an eyebrow and she didn't miss it.

"This month is always an off month for her," she sighed, not looking up at me. I didn't say anything - not wanting to cut her off. "Her father left this time of month, never returning home." The tear that slipped from her eye didn't go unnoticed as I apologized.

"I had no idea..." my head bowed down, my heart stammering. Chills shot through my body. The thought of Camila feeling so broken and not having a fatherly figure to grow up with, pained me. She's already been through so much and this? This didn't help.

It stung a little bit that she didn't tell me but I understand. She was independent and she didn't like vulnerability from what I could tell. She was mysterious yet fragile. Something that I truly admired.

"Mama! I'm home!" The very familiar voice echoed through the home and I immediately shot up.

Her voice brought me back to life. That voice made me remember exactly why I was so happy in the first place.

I turned on my heel, being met with the most breathtaking, precious human I've ever seen.

"S-Shawn...what are you doing here?" She dropped her groceries, wide eyed.

Camila's POV

There was a moment where my mind went blank. I was ecstatic that he was here, right now, in front of me but it was the worst time possible.

"Are you not going to give me a hug?" His laughter filling the room.

I couldn't process what was happening. He wasn't supposed to be here just yet. Life was constantly throwing curveballs and it was too much to dodge.

I backed away from him. Which I instantly regretted. The look on his face, disappointment or more like concern. I had no idea but I knew he wasn't feeling the best after I just rejected his hug.

What was I doing?

I don't know. I've missed him and yet I can't even give him a hug. In the moment, I wasn't thinking about him - I was thinking about the timing that he got caught up in, what him being here meant for him.