35 - The Chick Magnet

"I'm sorry to do this to you, Luna."

"Oh, it's okay, I'm sure I can find something else. Perhaps I can see if Hermione needs any help in her S.P.E.W offices?"

"Well, actually, Harry said something about firing his assistant for serving him instant coffee, so there may be an opening there. Just make sure you work out how to use the coffee machine first."

"Are you sure this is what you want to do?" Luna asked, blinking up at me. "I thought catering was your life long dream?"

"I dunno," I sighed heavily. "Cooking for a bunch a pretentious twats is making me die slowly inside. Once this wedding is done, I'm getting my fucking gold and I'm getting out."

"Oh, but seeing the world!" Luna sighed heavenly. "I'll bet you miss your family and friends though?"

"Nah, not really." I shrugged. "And I doubt they'll even notice I'm not here anymore."

I was giving up the business and I was giving up the flat; I hated being in that place. I knew it had been a mistake ever allowing Draco into it. It was all just full of memories of him now.

And it hurt so much.

I was planning on using the gold I got from the wedding to go travelling indefinitely. I needed to get away from this toxic place. And I didn't trust Draco wouldn't try and seek me out when he got bored with his three way marriage.

I wondered if he'd ever convince another woman to be his secret. Maybe even father a few illegitimate children? Or was he going to just end up mean, bitter and twisted like his father in law?

My heart couldn't take the idea that he didn't love me enough; that he hadn't shared the same image of our future together - a future containing children and happiness.

And I wondered how Bambi and Blaise would last, if they could continue to be happy with her becoming a Malfoy and never being able to have Blaise's child.

Luckily, the menus had all been finalised for the wedding, so I didn't have to go back to Peverell Manor for anymore meetings. This made it marginally easier to avoid Draco as much as possible.

However. I hadn't anticipated my fucktard best friend.

"What the fuck do you mean you've invited them?" I spluttered incredulously at Harry. "What happened to no fucking Slytherins?!"

It had been two weeks since I had kicked Draco to the curb and, the night before the christening, Harry felt the need to deliver this little piece of fucking fantastic news.

Apparently he had been approached by Arnold Peverell who was keen to thrust Draco and Bambi into the public eye. And, upon hearing of the press coverage Harry had organised for the christening, had keenly used it to his advantage.

"Well I do owe the guy a lot, Ronnie," Harry explained, shrugging his shoulders. "It was his ancestors, after all, who gave me this little chick magnet."

He smugly twirled the Elder wand between his fingers. I had the sudden urge to snatch it off him and use it to blast his arse into the next galaxy.

"MY SISTER HAS JUST HAD YOUR FUCKING BABY!"

"A baby she wouldn't have ever had if it wasn't for this," he said cockily, tapping the wand against his nose.

"Harry, how could you do this to me?" I asked, completely bewildered by his insensitivity. "You know what has happened between Draco and I!"

"Ronnie, get over it," Harry scoffed, "you're catering for his fucking wedding for crying out loud! I'm sure you can handle one afternoon in his company!"

"But it's Draco Malfoy! At your child's christening!"

"Look, they need the publicity to help disguise the fact that she was bonking the best man, and I've been offered more gold for the Transfiguration Today exclusive since they found out that the wizarding world's most talked about couple is in attendance. It's a win win."

"You're a fucking dick. I hate you."

"You're always saying that, Ronnie, but we both know you lied that day on the train just so you could sit with me."

I was beginning to wish that I'd just kept on walking.

*****

The next morning, the first thing I did when I opened my eyes was vomit everywhere.

It was a day that I couldn't bear. A day that I would have otherwise lay curled up in bed and cried away.

It was the first of April. It would have been Fred's twenty sixth birthday.

I thought about poor George who had to pull himself out of bed, put on a suit and go and celebrate a new life.

The thought made me vomit yet again.

I had a seriously long shower where I allowed myself to cry, letting all the pain wash away as much as I could. I didn't want to break down in front of anyone today. I didn't want to give my mother a reason to accuse me of making it all about myself again.

And I let myself wish that Draco could have been here to hold me and to tell me it was okay to be sad about my brother.

Because I know he would have done. He may be a prat, but he had gotten some things right.

I tried not to think about the fact that I had to see him today, acting all in love with Bambi for the cameras. I vowed to myself to keep as far away from them as possible. Besides, knowing Harry, he would have invited enough people to fill an entire Quidditch stadium.

With all my effort, I got dressed, making sure to wear green just to piss Harry off.

It was the dress that Fred and George had bought me. No doubt it's ancientness would piss Harry off too. However, I felt like I couldn't wear anything more appropriate for today.

And, taking a deep breath, I picked up the christening gift that Luna had purchased for me and Disapparated away.

*****