65 - This Was Our Story

I hovered outside Scorp's bedroom door before knocking.

He was sat gloomily on his bed, looking down morosely at a shiny gold trinket in his hand.

I swallowed. It was the Time Turner - the cause of all this trouble.

"It's time to fix this, Scorp," I said gently. "Albus is here and it's time to get your sister back."

"But you're going to die again?" He said sadly, furling his fingers tightly around the offending item.

Slowly, I nodded, my heart feeling heavy. "It's got to be this way Scorp, we can't mess with time. You do realise that now, don't you? Even the slightest change can cause serious ramifications."

"Like people popping in and out of existence, you mean?" He laughed wryly.

"Yes, Scorp," I said, sitting down next to him on the bed. "Which is why we need to go back and stop you from going into that kitchen. And when you and Albus go back to the future; to now, it should be exactly how you left it."

"I don't want to lose you again, Mum," he sobbed. "I did this all for you, to get you back."

My heart broke as I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him to me. "You're such a good boy. I love you Scorp, you know that, don't you?"

He nodded, burying his head into the crook of my neck. "I just wish you didn't have to die Mum, we all miss you so much. Especially Dad. I- I'm scared for him."

"He'll be fine," I assured him, "he's actually tougher than you think, just give him time."

"I don't see how any of us can be okay without you."

"You will, now tell me about Freida, tell me about your sister."

And we sat, me comforting my son as he told me all about my little girl.

It somehow made everything easier.

*****

Draco gave my hand a gentle squeeze as he started up the car.

"You ready?" He asked, his eyes full of sadness and apprehension.

Slowly I nodded, giving him a small smile as I squeezed his hand back.

"Ready, boys?" Draco added, looking in the rear view mirror at Scorp and Albus sat in the back seat.

They too nodded mutely.

We were off to Peverell Manor.

*****

"Merlin, I never thought I'd ever step foot back in this place again," Draco murmured, looking apprehensively up at the huge iron gates.

He moved a fraction closer to me, entwining his fingers with mine, looking down at me sadly.

"It's going to be okay, you know," I breathed. "I just have this feeling; we'll be together again, somehow in some way."

"You know, one thing about the two different worlds," Scorp said, watching us curiously, "in both of them you two are sickeningly in love. I'd say it's gross, but you guys actually make me believe in it. Other couples, they seem to despise one another and you wonder why they even stay together."

"Yeah, like my parents," Albus muttered. "Bloody Mum is always nagging at Dad, I reckon he'd just be relieved if she ever picked up a deadly virus."

"Albus!" I cried, "she may be a stuck up bitch since she married that fucktard but that's still my sister you're talking about!"

"Mum!" Scorp winced.

Albus just shrugged before giving me a wistful look. "I'm sorry I never really got to know you, you seem pretty cool for an aunt."