TWENTY-TWO/ CHRISTMAS IN NY

K I A R A

It was officially Christmas Eve and Kiara was doing some last minute packing to go to her moms house. She honestly didn't know how to feel about the holiday or even her mother at the moment. She saw that Shivani was trying to build a relationship with her daughter but it was hard, Kiara had to tell her all things her mother should already know, like her favorite color, foods she didn't like, why she grew to photography. Kiara was surprised that she knew her birthday, but she promised Ms. Gonzalez that she'd be on her best behavior and that she'd at least give her a chance. Kiara zipper her bag up and waited for Ms. Gonzalez to call her to come down. She made sure her phone was fully charged, the ride to upstate was no joke and Kiara hated them, the last time she did it, her and her granny were going away for a weekend and she dreaded the ride. It was currently 6 am and they were expected to arrive to her mothers house around 9. A few minutes passed and Kiara got into the car with Ms. Gonzalez. They hit the rode. They sang songs and caught up on things since they haven't seen each other in a while. During the ride she texted Darien, informing one another that they either were at their destination or that they were on their way. They played IMessage games to pass time and eventually they stopped. As Kiara rapped along with Drake her phone vibrated showing a notification from Khari in the group chat they were in with Armani.

Khari✍🏾🖤: Attachment: 1 image.

Kiara tapped on the message and a smile grew across her face as the picture of him and his siblings in matching elves outfits, which Kiara assumed were for a family holiday portrait.

Mani💕: Langston at the end looking like he hate all y'all😂.

Khari✍🏾🖤: you know his ass don't like matching, but I think we look like some dope ass elves. Well whoop all the bad reindeer asses. No cap😂💯

Kiara shook her head at the two, she responded sending laughing emojis back. Kiara put her phone back onto the charger and put her seat back next closing her eyes.

2 hours passed and Kiara was woken up by an aggressive shake. She opened her eyes in fear seeing Ms. Gonzalez telling her to wake up.

"We're here Kiki." She heard, Kiara rose and put her seat back up. She looked out of the window seeing the big, beautiful home. It was decorated beautifully with Christmas lights and decorations. The home looked as if it could house an entire family of 6. It had a yard and it was covered with white, fluffy snow, which made Kiara want to show her childish side.

"At least we know she wasn't living hard." Kiara said unbuckling her seat belt.

"Kiki, promise me you won't snap or anything once you see the inside or her." Ms. Gonzalez begged.

"I won't, the nap took my anger away." Kiara joked but not getting a laugh or even a crack of a smile from Ms. Gonzalez. "I promise I won't."

The two women stepped out of the car and Kiara grabbed her belongings from the trunk. She threw her night bag over her shoulder and walked to the door. Approaching it made her feel smaller than she already was. As Kiara raised her hand to knock on the door, the door was swung open by a little boy who looked to be around the age of 8. The boy looked up at Kiara like he wanted to scream. Kiara cracked a smile and he returned it back.

"Are you Kira?" He asked in a soft tone, mispronouncing her name.

"I'm Kiara, and you are?" She asked with a smile.

"I'm Noah!" He said excitedly, giving Kiara a bigger smile causing her to smile back, this one warmed her heart. "Mommy! Kira's here!" He yelled as he grabbed Kiara's hand pulling into the home. Kiara turned to Ms. Gonzalez, waving goodbye next closing the door behind her.