TWENTY-EIGHT/ CHEERS

K H A R I

As Khari woke up from his sleep, he silently yawned, attempting to not wake Kiara. He picked up his phone and saw the time seeing it was 10:30 in the morning and it was officially Kiara's birthday. He looked down at Kiara as her head laid on his chest and her arms were wrapped around him. Khari gently unwrapped then from around him and arose from the bed and walked to the bathroom to get himself together. He got his toothbrush out of his overnight bag and began to brush his teeth. Once he was finished doing his morning routine he walked back into Kiara's bedroom to grab his phone and headphones. As he exited Kiara's bedroom he looked out of the living room window next stopping dead in his tracks at the sight. It was snowing, heavy at that.

"Damn!" Khari said to himself. Today he was gonna take Kiara to the cabin for her birthday surprise but the way the snow was coming down there was no way they were going anywhere. Khari immediately called his dad to see what he could do.

"Yes Khari?" Jean asked tiredly.

"Pop, it's snowing hard as hell and it's Kiara's birthday and there's no way ima be able-."

"So you think her birthday is ruined?" Jean interrupted. "Listen since you can't get upstate go to the store buy some candles and some cute shit and give her a birthday at the house. Improvise. But everything doesn't have to be magical and expensive son." Jean told Khari.

"Your right. Thanks." Khari told him.

"Mhmm, I'm going back to sleep." Jean said before hanging up. Khari walked back into the bedroom and changed into some sweats and and sweatshirt and then putting on a hat because his hair was a mess, he hadn't had a cut in a while and even though Kiara liked it, he didn't. He grabbed his car keys and headed out.

He headed over to target and grabbed some food and candles. He grabbed anything that he could use to make the day romantic. Khari wasn't the best when it came to dates but he knew how to have fun. He grabbed some wine and games for them to play. The most he'd ever done for a girl was take her out to dinner and out the state but he never made a date himself. According to Jean and Langston, Khari was falling hard for Kiara but Khari disagreed, yes he cared for Kiara deeply and wanted nothing but to make her happy but he didn't think he was falling in love with her, mainly because he thought it was too early even though he had feelings for Kiara way before they made things official, he caught feelings for her back when he hired her to take pictures for his website. He admired her beauty and energy. She radiates positivity and love and he loved it.

Once Khari checked out he headed to his house really fast to grab a few things that could make the day and night even better. He grabbed some clothes and his Timbaland boots and the headed back to Kiara's house. He left the door unlocked so he could get back in. Once he walked in, he peaked to see if Kiara was awake and luckily she wasn't, it was now 12 oclock and Khari unzipped his jacket and took his sweatshirt off leaving him in nothing but his sweats and a wife beater. He put the bags down and put certain grocers away. He pulled out pancake mix, bacon and grits and took out Kiaras waffle maker and the other kitchen supplies he needed to make Kiara breakfast for the day. As he began his cooking he took out his phone and opened his music app to play some music. As Musiq Soulchild quietly played in the small kitchen he sang along. As he flipped the waffles onto the plate beside him.

"Good morning." Khari heard a soft voice behind him and next felt small arms wrap around his torso. He looked down seeing Kiara looking up at him. Her small body under his made him smile and turn towards her to kiss her head.

"Good morning and happy birthday mama." He said with a smile next kissing her lips.

"Is all this for me?" She asked in amazement at the sight.