Chapter 49 - Fire Temple

I don't own Naruto and I never have, probably never will. Can never tell for sure though.

Nightfall!

Chapter 49: The Fire Temple

The operation to implant Itachi's new eyes took several hours but went without incident. Itachi was now sitting in a dark room with wrapping around his eyes preventing him from any sight at all.

"So how long will he have to wear those bindings?" Jiriaya asked when Naruto, Tsunade and Itachi exited the room.

Tsunade shook her head. "I cant be certain, it will be a few days at least, and I will need to keep him under observation. Naruto can assist the healing but I don't want you removing the bandages until I say so" Tsunade lectured.

"Yeah I get it, no peeking" Naruto sighed.

"Good, I'll be back tomorrow to check up on Itachi condition, now stay out of trouble until then" Tsunade said before leaving.

Naruto relaxed and took a seat in an old couch. "Well looks like we are staying here for a few days then" he sighed.

Jiraiya was more interested in Itachi's condition. "So, how do the new eyes feel?" he asked his curiousness evident, after all how many opportunities does someone get to research a eye transplant. The only one's he knew about were Ao, from Kiri and Kakashi's and both of those were done in the field.

Itachi took a seat next to Naruto, his access to his other senses heightened enough to move around the room without too much trouble, thanks to his training. "Everything seems to be fine, I'm a little tired from the experience though" the stoic Uchiha replied.

"Yeah that will pass" Naruto said lazily.

"So what did you do with Itachi's eyes?" Jiraiya asked.

"Well, Baa-chan wanted to take them, as she had never had a chance to inspect the physiology of the Mangekyo sharingan. But once she is done with them they will be returned. Giving them to Konoha would raise too many suspicions" Naruto said.

"Not to mention that Danzo would do almost anything to get his hands on my eyes" Itachi added.

"Yeah there is something seriously off about him, I broke into the council room and his weird bandaged arm felt completely different from the rest of him, almost like a separate person all together" Naruto said darkly.

"He always was a snake, I would do my best to stay away from him, both of you. He will not like the idea of letting you both run around, it wouldn't surprise me if he is already thinking of a way to capture you both. And once he finds out Itachi has a new pair of eyes I'm sure he will be even more eager to do something against you" Jiraiya informed the pair.

"That old fool, let him try what he wants, I'm not afraid of him" Naruto replied offhandedly.

"Danzo is not someone to be taken lightly Naruto-kun. His old Root Anbu still operate in the shadows, even a fool can lead to your downfall after all" Itachi lectured.

"He's right Danzo may not look like much, but he don't let his appearance fool you, he is a competent shinobi in every sense of the word. And what you said about the way his supposedly useless arm makes me think that he is not as crippled as many think" Jiraiya added to emphasize Itachi's point.