sixteen

ethan

may 20

at breakfast, evan and addison are debating over what i was sleep mumbling about last night.

"no, he definitely said something about yellow socks, addy," evan insists, taking another mouse sized nibble out of his granola bar.

"i swear i heard something about jello rocks," she mumbles back, shaking her head.

"well, i'm in the room next to him. i hear it better."

"okay, but that shouldn't disregard what i hear—"

"guys," i interrupt, setting down my spoon and trying not to let my cereal milk slosh over the side of the bowl. it's a particularly choppy day with some rain. "i literally hate talking about this. it's humiliating."

"you should get like... a CPAP or something," evan offers with a shrug.

"aren't those for people who can't breathe?"

"yeah, but it could stop the talking."

"no thanks," i grumble, picking up my spoon again. "i'd rather sleep talk than look like i'm on the verge of dying."

addison stifles a laugh and looks like she's about to say something when captain avery comes down from the top deck, where his room is.

"guys," he breathes out, taking off his hat and running a hand through his grey hair. "research is canceled today. we might even have to dock into the marina on the island for a night."

"wait why?" evan's voice is concerned and laced with worry.

"there's just a storm on its way, and we always want to make sure to be safe than sorry. this is common, don't worry. we'll just dock in for the day and maybe stay the night."

addison looks outside from the small windows. rain pelts down onto the water, and the sky looks dingy and scary. "i'm in favor of that."

"what would happen if we were in the middle of the ocean on this trip? i mean, it's lucky we're so close to the island," i say.

avery grimaces. "let's just say that i'm glad we're where we are."

a chill runs through my body and i'm glad it was never my dream to be a sailer. 

"addy, can you come help me with the anchor?" captain avery mumbles, looking out the window at the rain.

it's kind of a common thing now where addison is the anchor associate.

"wait," i say as she starts to stand up. "i'll do it."

she looks confused. "why? i always do the anchor."

"it's fine," i say, taking my bowl to the sink. "you can get like... hypothermia or something."

"ethan," she laughs. "it's fine. i got it. avery asked me."

"well i want to learn how."

addison side eyes me, but sits back down slowly. "okayyy... he'll probably yell at you the first time. he did to me."