Chapter 32: A Divine and a terrifying Thunderclap

*

You descended the stairs with an empty air, and tried to control your thoughts and your unbearable hunger . Your shadow watched you anxiously and tried to put its hand on your shoulder in a gesture of comfort, but you pushed it away coldly.

"Don't.Touch. Me. "You warned darkly. "Take your place on the wall and don't bother me." You ordered while continuing your descent.

The shadow looked at you for a moment with a downcast look and then did what you ordered without the slightest noise, not wanting to offend you further.

You looked over your shoulder to see if your shadow obeyed and then with a cold air you continued down the steps to the ground floor until you heard the malicious voice of Thénardier who seemed to speak with Charlie.

"Oh if only you knew your Highness! " He cried out in a dramatic tone as if he were about to cry. Surprised enough, you hid in the shadows to observe what he was saying to the princess. Mirar was there and seemed rather worried because he looked everywhere with his many eyes, Fos, on the other hand, seemed really annoyed, he observed the red and golden doors with a rather disinterested air, which testified to his lack of interest in the speech of the brown rat.

"Um, it's Charlie," replied the princess with an embarrassed face, her discomfort was easily noticeable as she was looking for a way out of your... "partner."

"Charlie... " Thénardier corrected "oh if only you knew! Life in hell is getting harder and harder every year! I remember in the 19th century the demons still had honor but now, absolutly not! No way to completely trust others out of an agreement! Besides, my wife, oh my sweet wife preferred to drop me to go with another demon! It's so heartbreaking! Such indignity! I've lost so much money in the last 10 years and now I'm having to work like a common scavenger for others! Oh Lucifer, if you only knew how hard it is to be unable to provide for yourself because of such selfish souls..." Was he crying at his knees? "It's so distressing to see how much money has become indispensable year after year, oh if only I could get a little more of it to change my miserable life! I would be so happy!"

Was that rat implicitly asking him for money or were you dreaming?

"Indeed..." Charlie replied with a tense smile, trying to remain polite in all circumstances.

"Isn't it rather because of stingy people like you that hell has hardened? "said Fos with disdain

"Fos! How dare you? I've always been loyal and kept my promises," replied the rat, standing up and facing the lamppost man who didn't even deny looking at him.

"When you couldn't get your customers drunk to death until they forgot about you, yes."

Okay, you had to step up. You slowly walked down the stairs and quietly walked over to the rat who hadn't noticed you.

"Well, you might as well ask The Boss for a raise, she is just right here," Fos added with a chuckle.

"What?" the rat turned around and his eyes immediately met yours, almost immediately he let out a high-pitched scream from his throat and backed away by trembling all over his bones.

"Ah! B-B-Boss! Didn't hear you coming!"

You looked at him coldly and then turned your attention to Fos.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice."

"You're welcome, my lady."

Charlie took the opportunity to ask you.

"So, um, are these the demons that work for you Y/N?"

"Indeed. This is Fos, the one who runs the newspaper I told you about." You explained by pointing at the lamppost man, and this is Thénardier and Mirar.