Chapter 31: Clarification

*

You had taken a few minutes to fully calm down and be in control of yourself before you climbed the stairs to the top floor. Even though you cleared your mind, you were no less tense. How was that deer going to react when he saw you? Worse yet, would he listen to you? Would he open his door?

You had a knot in your stomach, and your legs became heavier and heavier with each step. You felt as if you were climbing a slope with an infernal height.

At times you would even take breaks at different levels to catch your breath, and each time you readjusted your shirt, or your hair, it was stronger than you, to the point that you didn't even realize it.

When you finally arrived in front of his door, your body was shaking at first sight, your teeth were so tightly clenched together that it hurt a little.

Suddenly you heard a soft melody, a bit of Jazzy on the other side, the sound seemed a bit old-fashioned as if it came from an old record player. You took a deep breath and then you bravely knocked on the door, secretly hoping that the deer didn't hear you.

"Yes, come in." You heard his static voice as the music stopped.

Your eyes glanced for a moment at the doorknob and you were tempted to loosely walk down the stairs and hide in the first closet you could find. Alas, your pride was fiercely opposed to it, you had nothing to reproach yourself for...

You opened the door slightly and then declared with full aplomb that you could use

"Hello, Alastor."

The deer, which was in front of is library, froze at the sound of your voice. Its ears were alert on his head and pointed in your direction. As if to see if he really had heard you.

He tilted his head slightly towards you to look at you out of the corner of his eye and then turned around with a big, enthusiastic smile.

"Why, hello dear! " He exclaimed cheerfully as he stood behind his desk, "I did not expect a sudden visit from you! After all, you were really tired from all the emotions you had experienced yesterday. Ah but where are my manners? Please have a sit."

You blinked several times, involuntarily marking your astonishment. You expected him to chase you out of his office or at best to be cold to you. After all, you had dared to touch him, a creature like you was not worthy of touching him, you knew deep down inside that the deer certainly did not appreciate what you had done to him. The rare times Angel tried to touch him or to flirt with him proved it. It almost turned into a disaster almost every time. Why was he acting like that? Of course you weren't going to complain about it, but it was still extremely disturbing.

Alastor cleared his throat, bringing you back to reality. You jumped up and nodded your head and dropped a shy little "thank you" and settled down on the chair.

"May I offer you something to drink? " He asked you in the same welcoming tone.

"Um... No, thank you." You replied looking away, looking a little embarrassed. You couldn't look him in the eye, no matter how many times you tried, you failed miserably and it frustrated you. He himself had admitted that you were not in control of your actions yesterday, so why was it so difficult?

*

Your fists clenched tightly in your lap and you began to nibble your lower lip as his scent attacked your nostrils. Immediately, your mind began to wander about your kiss with the radio demon. Again you felt the warmth of the lava and the ghostly presence of his arms around you.

Oh Lucifer, you would have liked so much to run away again, you wanted to forget that memory, or even just easily take a step back as Alastor seemed to have done, but apparently your pathetic brain was not competent to accomplish your wishes.