chapter twenty-nine

I was silent while sitting in the receiving area of the building where his firm was located, idling from the time I arrived.

Ma'am Madriaga and I separated ways to wait for the possible entrances or exits of... Camron. I was designated here in the lobby while she stayed in the basement parking. Our goal—or more like her goal—was to talk to him and try to make an appointment.

I heaved a deep sigh as I remembered what Ma'am Madriaga had said earlier.

Architect Camron Vista's girlfriend is Architect Brielle Hernaez.

I actually didn't know what to think but all I know was that I felt... something inside me when I heard that. Hinawakan ko ang kaliwang parte ng dibdib ko at huminga nang malalim. Nandoon pa 'yung naramdaman ko kanina.

'Yung sakit.

I was lost in reverie and just came back to my senses when I felt my phone vibrate. I took it out of my suit's pocket and saw Mrs. Madriaga's incoming call.

"Yes, Ma—"

"Go to the third elevator," she suspended. "Now."

I abruptly stood up and grabbed my handbag when I heard the urgency in Mrs. Madriaga's voice. I scurried toward the third elevator and almost breathlessly repeatedly pressed the arrow button while my phone was still on my ear.

"I'm already—" I said but held my tongue when the elevator door opened, revealing the person inside it.

Oh, God.

"Did you catch him?" tanong ni Ma'am Madriaga sa kabilang linya. "Architect Vista took the third elevator from the basement so he must be on the ground floor now."

Napako ako sa kinatatayuan ko habang nakatitig sa taong hindi ko nakita sa mahigit apat na taon. My eyes were probably wide now and my lips were parted from shock that I got to see him now. Unexpectedly. Talk about good timing.

I didn't know what to do. I might look unpresentable dahil sa pawis sa noo ko mula sa pagtakbo ko kanina habang siya, parang nag-uumpisa pa lang ang araw niya. He was wearing a white button down shirt, black suit, black trousers, and black necktie. He matured. Ilang taon na nga siya ngayon? 29 o 30? He got taller and his body got toned.

His eyes met mine and my breath caught in my throat. It had been long since I made contact to those eyes. Nung kami pa, gusto kong tinitingnan ang mga mata niya. It was like I could see through him. I would know if he was happy, in pain, or sad.

But now, his eyes were cold and his stares were blank. He looked... unrecognizable.

I knew then that he was a different person now—way too different from the person I used to know.

With his right hand inside his trousers' pocket, his eyes went down and I felt conscious. Parang nadagdagan pa ata ang butil ng pawis sa noo ko. His eyes explored my body until feet before he looked up at me and slightly tilted his head, staring at my face.