chapter thirty-three

I eased myself between Rumi and Eliana. Beside Rumi were Charlie and Ryker while beside Eliana were Asher, Jash, Lewis, and Camron.

"So—"

"Ahm—"

Napakagat ako sa ibabang labi ko nang sabay na magsalita si Rumi at Eliana. This was totally awkward. And I knew it was because of me.

Jash's cold eyes didn't glance at me even once and Camron was also also to add up to the discomfort I was feeling. I knew the others—in the initiative of Rumi and Eliana—were trying to ease the tension up but me, Jash, and Camron in a group wasn't and would never be good.

I stared at my chain bag as I contemplated. I didn't know what to do. I badly wanted to talk to Jash but I didn't know how.

"What the hell is this silence?" Charlie said and got up on his feet, holding his shot glass. "Let's just have a fucking toast and drink this silence away!"

They stood up while Jash, Camron, and I remained seated. My eyes met Jash's and she instantly looked away and got up. I could feel Camron's eyes on me and before I could turn to him, Rumi held my hand and pulled me up.

"You still haven't changed, have you?" she asked, handing me a shot glass. "You still don't fucking drink?"

"I don't," I answered.

"Oh, come one! One drink wouldn't hurt!"

"Go, Tate!" Eliana cheered, also holding her shot glass.

I felt someone's stare from my right side, burning holes on me. Lumingon ako roon at nakitang nakatitig si Camron pero mabilis lang 'yon dahil nag-iwas siya agad ng tingin. Nakatayo na siya at hawak na rin ang shot glass niya. I then let myself freely stare at him. I think he just got from work since he was wearing a white button-down shirt that the sleeves were rolled up his strong arms and the first two buttons were unbuttoned, black trousers, and belt.

Bumalik sa 'kin ang tingin niya kaya binawi ko ang akin at tiningnan ang shot glass na hawak ko. One drink wouldn't hurt, would it? And I think I would need this to at least have courage to get through this night.

"Hell yeah!" Charlie shouted, getting buoyed up as he raised his glass. "Here's to Mighty Nine's reunion!"

We raised our glasses and clinked them together before drinking a toast to our reunion.

I grimaced when I felt the heat of liquor down my throat. It was bitter and strong. Mabilis kong inilapag sa table ang shot glass na wala nang laman at umupo na, kasabay ang iba.

"So, you work in TMP, Tate?" Eliana asked, starting a conversation.

"Yes," I answered. "I write under the lifestyle section."

"Really? Marami ka nang na-meet na mga sikat sa iba't ibang fields niyan?"