chapter thirty-one

"What were you thinking, Tate?" Magnus asked, looked real pissed. "Why did you agree to that? Just... What the fuck?"

We were now inside his office so we could talk in private. I had to excuse us earlier from our meeting and dragged him here. Good thing that Editor Silverio was in a good mood so he allowed us to go.

"Magnus, it's work," I answered. "I shouldn't mix my personal issue to it so—"

"How about him?" he suspended, running his fingers through his hair and pacing back and forth. "Didn't you think he was taking it personally? He asked you to do all the works for fuck's sake!"

I heaved a deep sigh. Kinalma ko ang sarili ko bago siya nilapitan. "Calm down—"

"How could I? This won't be good. You know this won't be good. Especially for you."

"But I already said yes so I had to do it. My integrity—"

"Integrity my fucking ass," he gritted. He stared at me hard before he shook his head. "He's crazy to ask you do all the works but you're crazier to agree to that. You know what, do whatever you want. Your choice."

He walked out and left me in his office. I felt guiltier. I knew where he was coming from. He didn't want me to get hurt. Alam niya lahat ng pinagdaanan ko dati—lahat ng sakit pero heto ako ngayon, makikipag-trabaho kay Camron. Alam ni Magnus kung gaano ako ka-todo iwas dati para hindi na kami magkita ni Camron pero ngayon, ako pa mismo ang nagpaliit ng mga mundo namin.

I went back to the conference room and Magnus was there, still looked upset. Tiim-bagang siya at tango at iling lang ang sagot sa mga kumakausap sa kanya.

Editor Silverio instructed again the section editors of business and lifestyle sections along with the head photojournalist to guide me for my upcoming interview with Camron. I listened attentively to them but still was distracted because of Magnus. Lagi akong napapatingin sa kanya pero hindi niya ako pinapansin at ni minsang tinapunan ng tingin.

"May I have a word with Miss Zacarias for a while?" Editor Silverio said.

Ma'am Madriaga and Miss Ferrer nodded and left me with him. I turned to Editor Silverio and he smiled up at me, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Mrs. Madriaga told me everything," he said. "From speaking to Architect Vista alone to agreeing to his conditions. You shouldn't have done that but I sincerely thank you."

I smiled. "It was nothing, Editor, compared to what you've done for me. I should be the one thanking you for giving me this kind of opportunity and to be part of this company. You took me in despite being inexperienced back then."

The year I graduated in college was the toughest year I had been through. I got lost... the same as I lost both of the most important men in my life. I was mourning but I also had to move forward. Kailangan kong magtrabaho dahil tapos na ako sa pag-aaral pero hindi ako nakahanap. Naging isang dahilan ay 'yung mga grades ko na pasang-awa lahat. Wala rin akong recent achievements at orgs—puro noong freshman lang kaya wala akong binatbat sa mga kasabayan kong applicants noon na ang gaganda ng mga records.