chapter thirty-eight

"Are you all set for tomorrow, Tate?"

I peered over Mrs. Madriaga who was watching me as I was fixing my things in my cubicle because our trip in Palawan was tomorrow already. Time flew fast and I hadn't even noticed that our trip was fast approaching.

Our flight going to Busuanga, Coron tomorrow would be at 5:30 in the morning so I needed to be in the airport prior that time. Meanwhile, Asher and Jash would follow the day after tomorrow because as per Asher's plan, we'd go there first to prep things up before their arrival.

"Yes po, Ma'am," I answered, smiling up at her. "I just need to fix some things po."

Dahil magta-trabaho ako sa Palawan, ang dami kong kailangang dalhin. Mabuti na lang ay wala ata akong nakaligtaan dahil napakahands-on ni Mrs. Madriaga.

"This will be extra challenging for you," seryosong sabi niya. "Are you sure you really can go alone? This will be totally different because you'll be out of town."

"Okay lang po, Ma'am. Kasama ko rin naman po 'yung mga kaibigan ko."

"Okay. Just think that this will be the last time you have to do this. For your next beat, you don't have to do it alone."

I sincerely smiled. "Thank you po, Ma'am."

She smiled back and left me after that to continue what I was doing. I exhaled heavily as I thought of what she said. This would be the last time. Last article na lang 'to. After this, I didn't get to work with him anymore. I could be out of his life. For good. Just like what Brielle said.

"Tuloy ka na talaga bukas?" tanong ni Magnus na biglang nasa tabi ko na.

"Oo," sagot ko at humarap sa kanya. Dahil nakatayo ako, siya ang umupo sa mesa ko.

"I tried to talk to Editor Silverio, but he doesn't want me to have my leave."

My forehead creased. "And why are you asking for a leave?"

"Ang dense, ah? Course, to come with you. I just have a feeling things will be different when you return from your trip."

"Ano namang magbabago?"

"A three-day trip is fucking long, Tate. A lot of things could happen and I'm... afraid."