chapter forty-four

He was now here.

In front of me.

I should do this. Now.

"Hey, you look bothered," Magnus pointed out, grabbing a hold of my elbows. "Do you have a problem? We've been here for almost half an hour but you haven't spoken yet."

I asked him to meet me here on the rooftop to finally talk to him but I couldn't seem to find my voice for the past 30 minutes.

This was so hard.

I stared at Magnus' innocent face. He looked like a boy, patiently waiting for his mom's command. His eyes were full of life. Shiny. And bright.

"Seriously, baby?" he asked while chuckling. "As far as I want to be with you here, we need to get back to work—"

"I'm sorry," I suspended. "I'm so sorry, Magnus."

I took the bracelet he gave to me out of my suit's pocket. I hadn't been wearing that since Camron and I... kissed.

With trembling hands, I reached for Magnus' hand and placed the bracelet on his palm.

He didn't speak.

His palm remained open and I moved my hand to his fingers, slowly pushing them to enclose the bracelet inside his palm.

I think he knew now what was about to happen. What I was doing.

"What does this mean?" he asked after a moment of silence.

I breathed heavily. "Let's break up."

"What?" He looked at me unbelievably and in disbelief. "Why? We were doing fine. We didn't even fight. What the hell is the problem?"

"N-nothing." I repeatedly shook my head. "I just couldn't do this anymore. I... I still love Camron..."

"Do you think I don't know that? We didn't have a problem with that before. Feelings fade, Tate. We were starting anew."

"Pero hindi ko na kayang idamay ka pa. Ayoko nang... paasahin ka."