Underwater trial | Chapter 23

(This is a pretty repetitive and lengthy chapter you can skip if you'd like lol)

Around a day later, the group followed Gomamon out of the ice cold Frozen Tundras, now arriving at the small town of Bayside, inhabited by many other Gomamon. The town was next to the ocean, with a warm tropical breeze, which was definitely a nice change of pace compared to the Frozen Tundras.

"Ahhh, feel that warm breeze!" Taeka stretches her arms out, feeling the warm, gentle air on her skin.

"Pretty impressive, right?" Gomamon says. "Our towns not that big, but you guys can stay as long as you like! And none of the Dark King's goons come out here, so you should all be safe here!"

"Hmm..." Blaine looks around the area for a moment, thinking. "Hey Gomamon, where exactly is that Digi-egg you were talking about earlier?"

"Huh? Ohhhh, right!" Gomamon looks through the town at all the other Gomamon. "I gotta find my friend Betamon first, he knows where it is!"

"HEY, BETAMON!! WHERE ARE YOU?!" Gomamon screeches, until a moment later everyone sees a little Digimon pop out from a nearby house.

'Betamon: Rookie level, Virus. Amphibian Digimon with a docile personality. Main attack is Electric Shock, where it generates a volt of electricity.'

"Betamon, Betamon! Over here!" Gomamon waves and calls for Betamon until he hops over to everyone.

"Heyy Gomamon, what's up?" Betamon asks cheerfully.

"These human kids really need the egg of Reliability really bad so they can like, save the Digital World or whatever, and you're the only one who knows where it is, so.."

"Oh yeah, the underwater trials!" Betamon looks up at everyone. "One of you follow me, I'll show you where it is!"

"Well alright, we'll just complete those underwater trials or whatever, grab the egg, and relax on the beach!" Taeka looks confidently, starting to follow Betamon...

"HOLD IT!!" Until Betamon raises one arm, stopping everyone in their tracks.

"Only one human and Digimon is allowed in there at a time!"

"...WHAT?!" Shock and confusion fall onto everyone's faces.

"The trials are only meant for one at a time..." Betamon says. "And besides, it would be WAY too easy if all of you went! We make these trials difficult for a reason!"

"Well, this is going to be harder then I thought." Cora says solemnly."

"If only one of us can go at a time, then it has to be someone with only one egg, or none at all." Erik says, thinking. "In that case, the only people who should go would be..." Everyone falls silent for a moment...

...Until everyone's eyes land on Cora and Blaine.

"...Cora, is it ok if I go first?" Blaine asks, his voice serious. "It's hard to explain, but it feels like something important I need to do. You can go next if I fail."