Bitter old grandpa

1.5k! Wow! Never thought I'd get past 100 reads tbh so thank you guys so much!!!❤️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, here we sit, in this "borrowed" van of a plumbing company, watching over a building. What a completely normal day it is. Not. I mean seriously, how fucked up can we be?

"Here comes Lance." I lazily looked up from picking at my nails to Five's observation. 

"Oh, great! He's going to work with some coffees. Shall I write it down in a log or something?"

Five looks over at me exasperated, "No need to be bitchy about it."

"I'm not being bitchy," I correct, "I'm being sarcastic. There's a difference."

"This is serious, Ava! He has information that we need to stop the end of the world."

I sigh, "I know, I know. But, like couldn't we just kidnap him and get the information out of him that way instead of waiting outside his place of work in a sketchy plumber's van? We don't even have to kidnap him! We could just threaten him."

"We have to get the scope on him first. We have to know his schedule. It's only tactical, Av."

I flop back into my seat, "Ugh, this tactical bullshit is so boring though."

"You just have zero attention span whatsoever," Five says with a light smile as he rolls his eyes.

"Hey!" I exclaim. "I mean you're not wrong but, hey!" Five just giggles and shakes his head at me with a smile on his face. Wait, Five doesn't giggle unless- "Are you drunk?"

"No, I'm not drunk. I'm working. Why would you think I was drunk?"

I narrow my eyes at him, "You're all smiley and giggly. You're not this smiley and giggly unless you have a couple drinks in you."

"Okay, fine. I had a few drinks. What's the problem with that?"

I sigh at his stupidity for common knowledge, "Five, your body is 13 again. Your body can't hold the same kind of alcohol that 50-year-old you could."

He waves me off, "It's not that big of a deal. I'm a big boy, I can handle myself."

"Big boy, huh? You sure about that one?" I say with a sly smile and a mocking tone.

"Oh, ha ha ha, how funny," he says while rolling his eyes again.

"Oh, trust me I know I'm hilarious."

"Yeah, absolutely hilarious," he says with a scoff. "You're really bringing down the house here. Why doesn't Miss Comedian take a nap or something to give that quick-witted mouth a break?"

"Jokes on you, that's exactly what I want to do." I crawl into the back of the van and grab a blanket that I stuffed into the backpack earlier that morning. "Wake me up if Big, I don't know, goes to the bathroom or something." I don't see Five's reaction but I would bet my left kidney that he rolled his eyes. 

I hear someone calling Five's name in the distance, "Five. Five. Hey, Five." Next thing I know there's knocking but I absolutely refuse to open my eyes. "Five!" Jesus, that's Luther. What the fuck does he want? The passenger door opens and I'm guessing he gets inside because the van starts to shake. "What are you... Oh, my god..." he finally closes the door, panting. "You okay?" he asks Five.

"You shouldn't be...how did you find me?"

"Um..."

Suddenly I'm awoken by Klaus shaking my shoulder while leaning over me. "What the-"

"Hi, Ava!" He sees his two other brothers staring at us, "Woah, a little privacy! We are trying to have a conversation here. Ah!" Klaus screams as Five throws a bottle at him.

"Get out! You can't be here! I'm in the middle of something."

The bottle Five threw narrowly missed the top of my head, "Hey! Watch where you're throwing stuff!"

"Sorry."

Klaus clambers up to sit in between the front seats, "Any luck with your one-eyed man?" I crawl up and stand behind Five's seat.

"No," Five whispers back.

"What's he talking about?" Luther asks confused.

"Does it matter? It's Klaus," Five replies quickly. He sighs, "What do you want, Luther?"

"Um...So, Grace may have had something to do with Dad's death. So, I need you to come back to the academy, all right? It's important." Oh shit, here we go.

"'It's important.' You have no concept of what's important," Five seethes.

Poor Klaus tries to defuse the growing tension. "Hey! Did I ever tell you guys about the time I waxed my ass with chocolate pudding?" I laugh along with Klaus and to my surprise, Five even laughs along a little too. "It was so painful."

"What are you still doing here?" Luther rudely asks.

"Ay, ay, ay...What? I- What? I need an excuse to hang out with my family?"

"No, see, we're trying to have a serious conversation." Well, he was just trying to diffuse the tension between you two stubborn assholes. You would notice that if you would just get over yourself for a second.

"What, and I'm incapable of being serious? Is that what you're saying?"

"Luther's got a point, you should get out," Five adds in.

"What?" Klaus shrieks.

"Five!" I exclaim, smacking his shoulder. He ignores me and nods at the door. Okay, but why does his jawline look hella sharp right now. Damn.

Klaus scrambles out of the van. "Fine!" he yells back at them while shutting the door. He then opens it back up a crack, "I'll talk to you later, Ava!" I wave and he closes the door with a final snap.

"What the hell are you up to, Five?" Luther asks turning to him again.

"You wouldn't understand." Oh, so we just gonna leave me out of this? Cool.

"Try me. Last I checked, I'm still the leader of this family."

"Well," Five challenged, "last I checked, I'm 28 years older than you."

"Bitter old grandpa," I whisper to myself. I'm guessing that neither of them heard me or cared to acknowledge my comment because Luther continued.

"You know what your problem is?"

"Really hoping you'll tell me," Five comes back sarcastically.

"You think you're better than us. You always have. Even when we were kids." Really? We didn't know that one. "But the truth is, you're just as messed up as the rest of us. We're all you have." Five's eyes flicker over to me for a second, breaking his death glare on Luther. "And you know it."

"I don't think I'm better than you, Number one. I know I am." Luther chuckles bitterly. "I've done unimaginable things, things you couldn't even comprehend."

"Right." Okay, Luther, you bitch, you don't even know the half of it.

He speaks quieter this time, "Just to get back here and save you all."

"Whoo!" I look out the front windshield and see Klaus running out of a convenience store with multiple items in his arms.

"Oh, jeez," I sigh, watching as Klaus gets chased out into the street by a store cop.

"Wha-" Five begins to ask but is cut off by Klaus.

"Hey, bitches!" he says while running past us with a huge smile on his face and dropping items. Well, at least until he is hit by a taxi. "Out of my way, asshole!"

"Now I'm starting to wonder if that was the wisest decision."

I shake my head, "We should have kept him in the van for his own safety."