Chapter 9: The girl in the closet

It had been nearly 2 years since Kakashi happened on Orochi that day. Just over a year since Sakumo and Orochi declared their love of one another.

Kakashi would be starting at the shinobi academy in the next term. He was almost 4 now.

Nade and Orochi's research and development on the Ame plant medicines had come to an end and they were working on test tube embryo fertilization and fetal growth and transplanting.

While failing horribly at gene splicing DNA of two individuals together. One of the first things they did was to create a synthetic embryo. That was such a success it almost too easy. And they used the process in their experiments of test-tube fertilization and fetal growth.

There were plenty of women with conception issues, the issue was dear to Nade's heart because she was one of them. She still refused to adopt Shizune. Orochi couldn't tell if it was fear of raising the child or fear of the fact some long lost relative would come out of nowhere and take Shizune away. But she refused to discuss it. And I did notice how they did love each other like mother and daughter.

Shizune was at the academy now being almost two years older than Kakashi. It was good they could be close like family. Nade was Orochi's teammate, best friend, and sister in everything, but blood. And he wanted her to be happy. Shizune did that for her. And she had some little piece of Dan through Shizune. And Orochi loved them both. He felt happy when Zune would call him 'Orochi-ji'.

Orochi looked up from his latest splicing disaster. Gods, fuck he thought and sighed. He pushed his chair back and stretched and yawned.

"Quit it Orochi, you're making me nervous when you start acting like that. We need to just take a step back. The answer is staring us in the face, but we are too close to see the answer. And you get me tense when you start losing yourself in your frustration and disappointment. I know, we talked about touring the orphanages to come up with some proposals for Sensei to fix the orphanage system. Let's just take the next week or so and do that. Nothing here is time-critical yet and we need a break."

Orochi for once was interested in a break. His mind was not focusing on the problem which made it worse.

"Sure. Let's meet here and start tomorrow. Do you think we should get Sensei's permission."

She bit her thumbnail in contemplation. And then shook her head causing her blonde pigtails to sway. She smirked.

"Naw, let's go undercover like old times as potential adopters and get a feel for the situation first. Observe and take notes. We can bring Kakashi and he can talk to the children. That is if you're good with that. I want to get a feel for it before we go investigate in an official capacity."

"Hatchling? What do you say? Wanna come on an undercover mission with us?"

He looked up from his study book of chakra and waved his hand sloppily at us.

"Does this mean I gots to call Oba-Nade mom and you Papa? And interrogate the kids there?"

My little shinobi,  he still surprises me when he picks up on everything.

"Yes, my little one. Can you do that?"

"Course papa, I want a little brother or sister. And mommy and you already adopted me. So I have to make friends with the kids to see which one would be a good sibling."

Damn, this kid was good and he was a toddler still.

The following day we were at our third orphanage stop so far. Shinigami take them, there were too many, our ruse had been working perfectly. It helped that both Nade and I henged our appearances. Nade had been in the spotlight since birth, the darling grandchild of the First Hokage. And I was the village freak. So yeah henges.