Chapter 27: Time Skip and Hope

My mind was rot. It was destroyed by the horrors and atrocities I had committed. My soul cried to Kami-sama for help. I begged Karma-san to not send her revenge on me. I prayed to Shinigami-san, himself for every poor young life that my work sent to him.

Danzo was a true demon.

He wanted me to experiment on the 'found' babies. Found my lily white ass. The bastard wanted me to incorporate DNA into them. He had a list of deceased Shinobi he had specimens of. Hashirama was the first name on that list, but not the only one. Tobirama Senju, Madra Uchiha, Kagami Uchiha just to name a few. I sent about 100 children so far to their death. So far only one child had survived. My little, strong, innocent blessing. Little Kinoe. I prayed for his survival. Whether or not he had Hashirama's powers was still to be determined. I wanted to rescue him before Danzo could corrupt his soul. I was still trying to figure that one out.

Then there was the the experiments with stem cells. Failures. All failures. The science was there, I was just missing something crucial. My lab assistants not giving any inkling as to how to solve the issue. Idiots.

Danzo was so far, fed up with the failures. The last time he entered the lab, he slew one of the idiots. His outward demeanor would suggest calm and composed rationale, but when the slain man had suggested scraping the project for the DNA splicing one. Danzo had pulled his katana and pierced the man's heart.

He then gave me a pointed look. It said 'make it work'.

What the bastard didn't know was, I think I may have figured it out. But I have not done the experiment out of fear.

I underestimated him. And now I pray to all the Gods for my life and the life of my children every day. And I am unable to gather anything to incriminate Danzo. Why because I can not inform about any thing to anyone in anyway. I was the lamb for the slaughter if he wanted me to be. Blackmailed into this mess. Unable to gain any information. And I couldn't leave Kinoe. Besides everything I had worked on would be used against me if I tried to leave. So the plans, every single one of them was swirling down the drain. And I could not even go to Sensei and say I fear him, get me out.

My children, Kakashi and Anko, they were my only saving grace at this point. For two years, so far, my children were the only sanity I could count on. Our only safe oasis our home. Kakashi was on a genin team and Anko was still in the Academy.

Minato had passed his Jonin test and become special Jonin sensei to Kakashi. When Kakashi had been deemed old enough by me and two students from when he joined the academy had graduated, Team Minato was born. Kakashi had actually become a chunin just recently.

Anko had made a name for herself, in a 'I'm scary and crazy don't mess with me' kind of way. And so my children had their own lives and friends. My only rule was no one was allowed in the house. The children understood and it helped maintain our secrecy. Because once inside my home, I was myself and my kids were themselves. Our facades melting away and becoming the loving family we are. And that's how my children helped keep me sane. And save me from the horrors my life had become.

I was at home cooking after a long day. Kakashi came calmly through the door. He pulsed his chakra and got mine back.

"Ugh! That Obito bugs me!"

He walked in to the kitchen.

"What is the problem, my hatchling?"

"Kaa-saaannn, I'm not a baby anymore. Must you call me that?"

"Sorry, but it is a mother's prerogative. So problem?"

He came over and gave me a quick hug, which I returned. He began to chop up the eggplant for miso soup. I had fish baking also.