Chapter 11: Welcome home Jiraiya

Jiraiya was tired as he trudged through the gates of Konohagukure. Three long years he had been gone. But the village looked the same. He smiled and waved at some Jonin he knew as he made his way to Sensei's office.

First, check-in with Sensei. Then food and a shower. Then he hadn't decided between teammates or hot springs. He had an idea for a new book and some research was a good plan. If he got to see some well-endowed, wet ladies, all the better.

His nose trickled blood just thinking about it.

He hopped up on the roof and leaped all the way to the Hokage tower. He climbed into Sensei's office through the window.

"The great toad sage Jirai..."

"How many times must I yell at you to use the door, Jiraiya!?"

"..ya.. Yo, Sensei. It's been too long. I'm home. Did ya miss me?"

"Jiraiya, I'm not prone to calling people this, but you Baka! Yes, we missed you, especially your teammates. Tsunade has quit active duty. And I don't think Orochi is far behind her, because he hasn't taken a mission in months."

"Nani?! What the hell? Why?"

Hiruzen leaned back in his chair and pulled out his pipe. Lit it and started smoking. He indicated Jiraiya take a seat.

"Why out of the three most prominent students I have, do you make me feel like an actual old man? What happened was life went on... Tsunade lost Dan about a few months after returning from Ame. She struggles still with his death. Though she has taken in Dan's orphaned niece, Shizune when the girl's father didn't make it back from a mission."

Jiraiya rubbed his neck.

"So did she adopt the girl?"

"In a way, she maintains a sensei/student title. But Shizune lives with her and Tsunade is her mother in every aspect, but name."

"Huh, who would have thought Nade would take in an orphan. I must have rubbed off on her, eh, Sensei?"

Hiruzen shook his head and took a drag off his pipe.

"You, no; Orochi, yes."

"Nani?! Orochi?"

"Yes, Orochi. He bonded to a lost child a few months after Dan's death. He started living with the boy and his father. They are good together, I'm pretty sure Sakumo has Orochi ready to accept that he is his mate."

"Dobe say what?"

"For Kami's sake, Jiraiya, you can't leave your team for three years and expect them to put their lives on hold. They were both lost, especially after Dan's death. Tsunade was depressed and ready to leave the village. Orochi was confused and lonely. Then Kakashi imprinted on Orochi and Orochi bonded with the boy."

"Sorry, imprinted, bonded? Sensei, make sense."

"Kami, give me patience. Imprinted- a bond that occurs in some animal species, when the newborn animal sees a parent or parent figure, it's unconditional love and faith in that person. Bonded- an instinct that comes from the animalistic hindbrain an urge to love, protect, teach, guard, and care for those precious to you. So much so that you would give your life for the one bonded. Your life for the good of theirs. And because a lot of our clans have deep animal affinities. You have a boy who is imprinted and a parent figure who bonded. Understand?"

"Wow! So Orochi has a son then? And a partner, husband? And Nade has a daughter. So I did miss a lot."

Sarutobi sighed. And tapped his lip with his pipe.

"Yes, you did. But Orochi also has a daughter he adopted not too long ago."

"What is the Gods forsaken world went on while I was gone!?"