Chapter 44: The end for now

Time skip 8.5 months...

I yelled for another team to take the West Wall.

"Get those shinobi from team 20 and 11 to reinforce the perimeter!"

"Hai, Commander!"

It was like the chaos of the war had stormed us over night. Like they knew our mission plans or something. Did we have a spy in our midst!? No, Sakumo, now is not the time. Bring it up later to investigate.

But it really was just too coincidental. The Hokage had just sent fresh reinforcements to the frontlines as Iwa made a push on their side of the war. And Kumo had snuck a fire team into the barracks of another front line area, like the bastards were working together as allies. So we sent medical teams and shinobi were sent to support the line and deal with casulties there. The jonin commander was out on an upmost important mission with 5 other teams. It was take out the Hannabi Bridge or possibly loose this war. My own sons were out there now on that mission.

But over night a bomber team had made its way to the village west walls and were expertly blowing us to bits. I was told to take the lead against them. I sent available teams to evacuate the civilians and the orphanages and the schools.

Then what I could spare was sent to the walls to disrupt any incoming bombs, the Akamichi clan was doing a great job of volleying the incoming projectiles back. But they were also taking heavy damage.

The Inuzukas and Aburame were outside the walls hunting the woods for the bastards.

"Sir, report, the Akamichi clan head is down. Inuzukas and Aburame have found nothing. They claim it's like a team of spirits. We have casulties coming in from everywhere."

"Get some of the med school students to the hospital to help with the wounded. Is the evacuation complete?"

"Ugh, let me find out, sir."

"Now! I need those shinobi."

I wiped my brow, Hiruzen Sarutobi walked up to me.

"Report, Hatake!"

"Sir, this is becoming a shit show. We can not locate the shinobi force behind this. The best trackers are finding nothing on the group of bombers. We are lacking in man power. The Akamichis have been our best defense with their expanding jutsu, but they are some of our worst causlties so far. The evacuation is taking to long and eating up man power. All available teams reported in and are engaged. I am going to hand this over to you so I can head out to hunt the enemy down."

I started to run off. Before he yelled out.

"Do not be reckless, Sakumo. I don't want to my son to loose his husband. Find and destroy them, but come back in one piece."

I waved at him as him as I ran off.

Elsewhere...

I ran to the Hospital to check on Nade. She was six months pregnant with twins, and was already not holding up well.

I had my team lock down and secure SRD and then evacuate. Most of them were scientist not shinobi, but those that were shinobi I sent to command to get orders and help out.

The hospital was in turmoil. I followed the shouts of an obvious angry blonde.

She stood directing medics, nurses and doctors to urgent casualties and to have the non-emergancy wounded to wait.

She was about to rush off to do some surgery.

"Stop! You are in no condition for that. You there your the head surgeon correct, take this patient and go. She can not preform anything besides a bandage change right now."