Part 6 : Stress Management

PART 6 - Stress Management

Masaoka was just finishing his checkup when she appeared in the lab. He walked towards the inspector, putting his overcoat on.

"May I be excused, missy? I have finished with my duty for the day," the old enforcer noted.

"Of course, Masu-san. Please, have some rest. These cases have significantly affected all of us," she has returned the smile.

They've come a long way... the old detective and her. She used to be afraid of him when she was a girl, but now... he was the closest thing to a father that she had. Nobuchika was still upset with how carelessly she was spending her time with enforcers... with Masaoka included.

To Shizuka, Tomomi was a protector figure that she could almost always rely on. He was always silent and observant, and ever so capable and wise. She often relied on him to solve the cases she couldn't quite comprehend. She sometimes wished... that Gino wasn't so hard on him.

Still, she understood Ginoza as well... witnessing his struggle of being a child of a latent criminal during their childhood. He was bullied out of fear of those who believed he would somehow affect or damage their hues solely by being close to them.

She understood both of them... the father and the son. It was a difficult relationship, but Ginoza and Masaoka were trying to live the best way they could – one as an investigator, and the other as a latent criminal. Masaoka gave her a warm smile.

"Will do, Shizuka. Take care. Kou..."

Kogami, who was buttoning his shirt up in that moment, looked at both of them.

"Don't let her do all the hard work out there. We are Enforcers. It's our job."

Shizuka and Kogami were working the second shift, so Kogami was waiting for her until she finished her medical exam. The Enforcer smiled at his senior.

"Sure, pops. Don't worry. Inspector Akibara will be safe with me, and her hue won't get affected if there's anything I can do about it," Kou simply responded, taking his cigarette pack out.

A sly smile formed on Shion's face. She was hunting Shizuka's reaction, but the later just rolled her eyes, getting flustered at her colleague's expectation.

Karanomori loved to see her upset around Kogami... and she enjoyed the teasing too much to leave the inspector alone.

"Just... revert from firing Dominators if she's standing too close and everything will be fine," Masaoka waved at all of them as he walked through the exit.

"Oh, come on..." Shizuka uttered. "Like father..."

His steps echoed throughout the hall.

Before returning her gaze towards the monitor, her eyes unintentionally grazed Kogami - who was apparently still looking directly at her. Having him so focused at her... was always intense. At this point, it wasn't supposed to be... but she still couldn't get over it. And yet... she kept looking. She won't be the first one to avert her eyes.

It was a game, really. An old game between the two... and she won't lose this time either.

"Aki-chan... here. Sit. Let's do the tests," Shion called. Shizuka sat on the leather chair, which was still warm because Kogami was previously sitting on it. Inspector removed her coat and waited for Shion to give her a helmet scanner.

Cymatic scan determined that Shizuka's pupils were responding normally. Her eyesight and hearing were good. All of her inner organs were functioning properly as well. She had no fractures, her blood pressure was stabilized and her reflexes were mostly all good – except for the leg, which still gave her some trouble if she run. Other than that...