Part 26 : Grave Alteration

PART 26 – Grave Alteration

The man on the rooftop watched the city below. He observed the scenery and people, gently holding the old paper book in his hands. The wind moved his white locks, making his hair a bit messier than before. His expression was calm... but he seemed lost in thoughts.

"I thought I would find you here, Shibata-san," someone spoke, making him turn around.

The man who arrived was wearing a suit, a cravat, hand gloves and a pair of expensive shoes. His dark, brown hair contrasted his green eyes. He spoke similarly to Shibata... in soft, calm manner. He exuded confidence, and had polite mannerisms. A refined, cultured individual.

"It's a splendid night for reading outside," the man who referred to himself as to 'Shibata' responded.

"Or for creating art. You, an art teacher yourself, should know the feeling," the conversation initiator retorted, still smiling to young, tall, slim man, dressed in white shirt and purple trousers. Something about him felt ethereal. Like he wasn't an ordinary human.

"I take it you made another artwork?" alleged Shibata Yukimori seemed curious.

His interlocutor nodded, satisfied with the latest achievement.

"It's almost ready for public display," the 'artist' was thrilled about it.

White-haired man smiled as well, his golden eyes exuding nothing but empty, cold detachment. There was no joy in his smile. Just a twisted grimace, similar to that of the person who he spoke to.

"Don't you think it's reckless? The time interval between your displays might attract some... unnecessary attention."

The other man laughed in a sudden, maniacal way.

"Shibata-san... the attention is exactly what I want. Every artist needs an audience in order to convey the message. A strong, emotional, heart-gripping message. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Only that which never ceases to hurt stays in the memory. Foucault's words, not mine. I agree... the message must have impact for the audience to react to it. Minor messages get to a few. Larger ones get broadcasted on much wider scale... for many to see. I believe yours, painful and radical as it is, will touch the souls of many."

"Indeed. My message will be so drastic... that no one will be able to escape the horror of it. True art requires all the right ingredients: pain, humiliation, terror, and death."

Malicious smile made the man less handsome than he appeared. It was a smile of a true lunatic. Shibata's gaze grew even colder. His lips curved further up, though.

"You know... I find your hatred the most appealing ingredient of them all."

------------------------------------

"We have another."

The words no one in Division One wanted to hear, Masaoka delievered. No one was surprised, but no one was glad to be right about it.

Kogami squeezed the cigarette, putting it down in his hand. Kunizuka projected the image on her computer, looking at the gory display once more. Masaoka sent more details from crime-scene drones, fresh from the lab.

"Wakimoto Aiko makes the fourth victim. The span between the third and fourth killing is barely a month. The killer is getting more reassured."

"He is definitely more comfortable in this murder. More skillful," Ginoza was also looking at the photo of the latest victim.

"And more violent," Kogami stated, noticing the details on the lifeless body production on his wrist-com. Kunizuka nodded, agreeing with him.

"Because he enjoyed it more. She probably struggled... fought more comparing to previous victims," she said.