A Smiling Face is the Most Beautiful Facial Expression

In a sorrowful city, there lives a cheerful young girl, her name is Kmai. The city she lives in is the home of dangerous people who abduct young lads and gals; there are thieves; conning businessmen; smugglers; drug addicts, suppliers, and lords. She’s a little tot who shouldn’t be living in a place like that. But the little gal loves the city very much that she doesn’t want to leave because as she says she calls the city her home and a home should be cherished and loved.

Most of the people who knew her loves her. In a city full of bad individuals, Kmai is known for her exquisitely extraordinary smile. People in the town loves to talk with her just to see how she wrinkles her face for a smile.

Then an unexpected event changed Kmai for days. And her unexpected changes shocked the people around her. Older ones tried to talk to her but she remained silent. She’s like a mute. Everyone was wondering what happened to her. Little did they know that the Kmai they used to know was suffering. They tried to lift her up by talking to her with their smiling faces and upholding spirits and they used the type of smile Kmai thrown to everyone, yet she only responded with a small glance and a weak smile with the white teeth of the lower portion being showed; which quite insulted them for her manners. For having the lower teeth shown when a smile, that indicates the smile she gave wasn’t sincere.

One sunny day, a fifteen-year older girl approached Kmai with a question first thing in the morning. “Little Kmai! Why are you frowning?”

Kmai stopped on her tracks and gave the older sister a tired smile as her lips were sealed close and then she answered simply, “Nothing, Sister Sinia.”

The older sister walked the distance between them, and bent down and squatted to level with the young girl. “What’s your problem? Let us know so we can help you out.”

Little Kmai moved her face sideways, avoiding their close closure. “It’s really nothing. I just didn’t brush my teeth so it’s kind of unpleasant to see,” she said honestly.

The older sister put the back of her palm on Little Kmai’s forehead to check if she had a cold but she didn’t felt the hotter temperature she longed for. “Are you joking again, Little Kmai? Don’t be so secretive because we are here, you know. You can count on us,” the sister said comfortingly and persuasively.

Little Kmai looked at her with a persuaded look. “Look,” said Little Kmai and pulled her sealed lips apart to give the older sister the sight of her unpleasantly yellowish teeth and there were signs of cavity in every corner.

The older sister sighed. “What else?” she asked concerningly as if she knew the girl hadn’t said the most important thing.

“And all my teeth aches all the time and it hurts real bad,” the young girl confessed, exhausted.

“Did you tell Mr. Claudio about the matter?” the persistent older sister asked again concerningly.

“Oh, no! I didn't. I don't want him to worry about me suffering. He has things he’s been worried about lately,” Little Kmai said with a bit of gloominess.

“That won’t do, Little Kmai. Mr. Claudio needs to know this. Come on, I’ll accompany you,” the older sister stood up and held her hand, ready to walk Kmai home.

Kmai took her hand away from the older sister’s grip. “Sister Sinia, thank you for your concern but I really need to do this myself.”

Sister Sinia sighed in defeat. She really couldn’t win against the young girl. “If you say so. But remember, Little Kmai, everyone loves you and we won’t be settled unless you overcome your problem. Okay?”

“Thanks, Sister Sinia. I know everyone has concerns but it’ll be alright. I’ll be alright sooner not later. I’ll take my medicines and will take good care of my teeth,” she promised.