16: 🍍 Let's Get to the Core of Things

In the morning, Zayn wakes up to the sound of someone talking outside his closed bedroom door. He immediately remembers the night he shared with Harry and he smiles to himself. Harry asked him if he craved a man's touch and he admitted that he did. So it was a man's touch that Harry gave him.

Even though they went no further than handjobs and blowjobs last night, they still stripped down out of everything until they were completely naked and they slept next to each other that way. Which is why when he gets out of bed, he grabs his robe and slips it on before tying it closed and opening the bedroom door.

He can see Harry out in the hallway, still fully naked and he's on the phone.

"Why do you assume that? Why is it that when I disappear, it must be that I'm out screwing some bar regular?...... Except I wrote you the note last night and I told you where I was going...... I know I made a promise but sometimes things do happen, you know. And I don't know why you're so upset. You don't need me. You're an adult and you've got yourself someone you like and that likes you...... Well whatever! I'm not a child. Even if I did go home with someone, I don't have to tell you."

Harry ends the phone call and as he huffs and runs his hands through his hair, he sees Zayn. His entire face settles.

"Hey."

"Hey. Was that Liam?" Zayn asks.

Harry scoffs and shakes his head but he's not denying that is was Liam. He's just expressing his disappointment.

"I'm old enough to make my own decisions, am I not?"

"Are you over eighteen?"

"Well over eighteen and you know that."

"Then there's your answer."

Harry sighs and thinks for a moment. "You know when I was kid, I used to dream about turning eighteen."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. All the time. I always thought that when you turn eighteen no one is going to be around to always keep up with what you're doing or who you're seeing anymore. I guess I didn't see Liam being in my life then."

"What's wrong with having a friend check up on you?"

"Nothing. It's just... I'm an adult now. I don't need supervision. So I don't need a father. I made it all this time without one."

"Ah, so you think he's trying to be a parent to you? A father figure you never had?"

"I don't know what he's trying to be. But I'm done having him ask me who I'm taking home."

Zayn won't say anything about that. As far as he's concerned, it's none of his business. "I understand. It's your decision."

Harry makes his way over to Zayn and reaches to place his hand under Zayn's chin. "You look amazing in the morning." He says softly.

"Please, I look like a trainwreck. Hair is all over my head. A mess."

"A beautiful mess."

"I thought I said calling me beautiful doesn't work on me."

"That's only for when someone is still trying to hit on you. It's not for someone like me."

"Like you?"

"Yeah. Someone who's long passed that stage."

As Zayn is giggling, Harry leans in and kisses him softly. No tongue. Just lips.

"You want breakfast?" Zayn asks.

"Yeah, sure."

"Okay. Well the guest bedroom down the hall is available for you with everything you need to clean up. I'll get you one of my clean robes to wear for when you get out so I can at least wash what you have here and send you home in clean clothes. And I keep toothbrush travel packs under the sink. So grab one of those too."