Beast X Dead Apple 3: A Cold Night

We arrived at an apartment, or should I say "our" apartment, in silence.

Odasaku didn't speak to me while we're in the car. He just drove quietly, the atmosphere around him was completely dark and all.

Now he's resembling more like a mafioso.

Standing outside the doorstep, I was hesitant to go inside. I was nervous. I was afraid to see more of this world.

I noticed the name that was indicated on the doorplate. "Oda", it said.

My fingers slowly trailed the characters that were written on it. It reminded me of how my fingers used to trace Odasaku's name on his grave...

I stepped back.

My back bumped into Odasaku's chest as he was standing still behind me. Guilt was slowly creeping all over my system.

"Just get inside, Yuko." He said tiredly, opening the door for me.

I stared outside for a moment before looking inside the apartment. I can still feel Odasaku's anger despite him, doing his best to conceal it.

Without thinking, I went inside.

"I'll cook our dinner. You can have a rest or take a bath, or something. It won't be long." He said, heading first to the kitchen.

My eyes roamed inside the apartment.

Unlike Odasaku's apartment back then, this was bigger. It was minimalistic.

I went to the living room and saw some photographs displayed on the shelves.

There was a group photo of the agency...

A picture of many children together with Odasaku... 

A portrait of me smiling, with the blue sea in the background...

A candid photo of a serious-faced Odasaku; and then...

A wedding photo.

My hands picked up the frame and looked at it closely.

I was wearing a knee-length white dress with a veil draped behind me, and I was carrying a bouquet of white lilies.

Odasaku was beside me, wearing a sleek beige suit and his hair was handsomely arranged. A hint of smile was visible on his lips and he looked dashing, overall.

With the blue sky above us, and flowers scattered across the sand; behind us was a calm blue sea that well-reflected sky. 

It was a beautiful beach wedding.

My chest hurts the more I think of it, and it was overpowering the urges of my tears. I wanted to cry but I couldn't.

I wasn't sad,

I wasn't happy,

I was envious.

To the Yuko who's living in this world, I'm envious of her.

This world...it was everything I ever wanted to happen; everything that I wanted to have.

And yet it doesn't belong to me.

"Uhm, Odasaku. Pop quiz..."

"Where can I find my clothes? I want to take a bath." I said, trying to peek at him in the kitchen.

Odasaku glanced at me boredly and pointed the ladle towards a room. He didn't even answer me properly.

He was even wearing an apron, he looked like a housewife instead of a husband.