Episode 37: Yokohama Incineration Plan

"Hiya, Ango! How are you? I have some good news today!"

Sitting from his hospital bed with his leg held up in a supporter and head covered with bandages, Sakaguchi Ango ended his call to look at the man who had just entered his room.

Dazai greeted him excitedly with pure delight on his face, carrying a bouquet and a basket full of fruits in his arms.

"We'll treat your injuries at the Agency. You'll be good as new with Yosano-san's healing ability." He sat beside him.

"And? What do you want in return?" Ango went straight to his point.

Knowing Dazai, whatever that comes out from his mouth will always have something in return. It was impossible, after all, for Dazai to just help him out of concern.

"Well, one of the detectives of the Agency was captured by the military police. We wanted to save her before our grand battle with the Guild." Dazai continued.

"Ah, the killer of 35." Ango went to put on his glasses.

"I'm told she's being kept in an unmanned plane used to quarantine dangerous gifteds. The Division could indeed make an extrajudicial plea to grant her immunity..."

"But only if the girl is truly a member of the Agency." He then probed.

Dazai looked down at the phone in Ango's hands before looking back at him. His expression was unreadable and Ango noticed this.

His lips slowly formed into a cold smile.

"I'm really curious...who did you call earlier?" Dazai shifted the subject.

Ango looked at him impassively, he didn't answer. Dazai burst into a laugh after seeing his grim face.

"You're really funny! Classic, nice one. To think that you'll move ahead of me, aren't you a real man, Ango!"

"So? What did she say to you?" Dazai then said with a smirk.

He didn't have to guess, Ango suspected he must be listening from outside earlier. A part of him expected Dazai to know about it.

"You already know the answer. Why ask?" He kept his eyes to the front, already regretting what he did.

"Because it's amusing. You've got the guts to call her, Ango, considering your situation..." Dazai's lowered his tone.

There was a sudden change in the atmosphere before he sat back again with a bright smile.

"From your tone, Dazai-kun, you act as if you're her guardian. Please don't be confident just because you're able to keep her under your sleeves, she's not your dog." Ango replied.

Dazai smiled darkly at him.

"You're right! She's not my dog, and she's never going to be one, ever again. With that being said, don't be mistaken, Ango..."