Episode 39: Somewhere To Return To

"It's been a long time, Tsushima, and I'll get straight to the point. Currently, Yokohama is facing an organization from overseas that is trying to wreak havoc in the city."

"A subordinate of mine suggested for your assistance in this conflict, and I am here as a part of fulfilling his request."

The four of us are on the table, sitting down together with Masako-san, Okin-san, and Fukuzawa-dono. We're having a small tea. 

"This subordinate whom you're talking about...may I know who is it?" I asked.

Fukuzawa-dono's subordinate must means that it's someone from the government. Wait, I thought he already retired from his service? 

Is it Ango? Ango called me three days ago...

I already declined him though.

"Oh, my apologies. I should've started with that. It was Dazai, he's the one who wanted to bring you in the city." 

Huh? Dazai? 

"You mean Dazai? Dazai Osamu? He works at a detective agency and not in the government, Fukuzawa-dono. How is he your subordinate?" 

"I retired from the government years ago, Tsushima. Indeed Dazai Osamu's working in a detective agency right now, the Armed Detective Agency to which I established." He explained.

Oh. That makes sense.

"Oh? Okay."

Well, it's not like Dazai knew that I know their Boss, right? None of us knows, actually.

And to think that Fukuzawa-dono's running an agency now...things have changed, I guess.

"So, you mean to say that it was Dazai who told you to come here, Fukuzawa-dono? I'm sorry but I'll only come if he's the one who'll come-"

Fukuzawa's eyebrows almost furrowed from my statement but then Masako-san suddenly went in-between. 

"Yuko, prepare to leave immediately. Leave your things with us, we'll just send it to the mainland after you." Masako-san said without any hesitations. 

I was surprised.

"Obaa-san, don't I have a say on this, too?" I laughed a bit and then she shot me a glare.

"Don't be stubborn. You shouldn't ignore those who reached out for your help, Yuko. They won't come all the way here if it were something petty as your reason." She cooly replied.

Did she just said that my reasons were petty? 

She's not even asking for other details. It's as if she already figured all the situation.

"You're not going to decline?" I asked curiously.  

"Your city requires your presence, Yuko. Is there a reason for me to keep you here?" She replied calmly.

My city, huh? Is Yokohama my city?

A city where I have nowhere to return to...

Is it?

I know that Obaa-san's not sending me away out of spite, she understands, I can tell. As always, she ways choose things for the greater good. It's not like she had an idea to what that city is to me anyway. 

"I may not return here anymore, Masako-san. You're okay with that?" I said in a low tone, lowering my gaze. 

There was a short silence in the table, the two of my family somehow felt like they already knew this would happen...that I would leave them.