Chapter 14

Kami POV

I get home from the longest day at work and I need to get ready for the gala but I just want to go to bed.

I head to my room and stop dead in my tracks when I see it. A beautiful long maroon evening gown hanging up. And I know it's Becca. The note says:
I know you are thinking of not going. But I made this for you and if your ass isn't photographed in it tonight with that hunky boss of yours. I will kill you. Love ya!

I can't stop laughing. She was always team Adam but gave it up eventually. Now she has moved on to Alan.

The dress is a dark red long evening gown. There is a deep V down to my stomach and the skinny sleeves fall off the shoulders. It fits snug around my hips and flares back out at my ankles. It's truly beautiful. I guess Becca is capable of making a wearable dress.

I curl my hair loosely. And realize I really need a cut. I pin the sides back out of my face so it doesn't annoy me all night. I keep adjusting myself looking in the mirror. I never wear anything this revealing I hope I don't have a boob slip out.

And right on cue, 7:00pm my phone buzzes

We are here Miss Cooper. May I come up to walk you down?

Oh Alan. I roll my eyes

I'm on my way down.

I grab my coat and take one last look in the mirror.

I chant don't have a nip slip. Don't have a nip slip.

I get down to the car and to my surprise it's a limo and Alan himself is standing holding the door for me. He kisses me on the cheek and ushers me in the limo. I pull my coat even tighter around me because of the cold and because I'm really feeling exposed under here.

He hands me a glass of champagne. "You look beautiful tonight."

"Thank you. You clean up nicely too Alan." He chuckles at this because I assume he already knew that. I see the smirk on his face trying to hide his cockiness. His jaw is tense and defined. For a split second I see what all the fuss is about.

The thought goes away just as quickly. And then we go straight to business discussing some of the pieces we know will be up for auction tonight.

We pull up to hotel that is hosting the gala. Alan steps out first adjusting his tux as camera lights start clicking. The flashing lights in the dark night takes me back a bit. But I take a deep breath as Alan reaches his hand in to help me out. I slowly and carefully step out of the limo while cameras are clicking. "Alan! Alan! Look over here." He waves his hand in a such a calm masculine manner. He takes his other hand at the small of my back while leading me inside.

This place is beautiful and elegant. Gold, white, and black is the theme of the night. Chandeliers cover the ceiling and lanterns light up the room. There are string lights hanging from the ceiling and circling the pillars. Candles are lit at every table you see. It's truly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

"Mam' coat please?" An older man is gesturing me to give him my coat. Apparently I spaced out being in awe of this place.

Alan has already taken his off and is a few steps ahead of me. I slowly and awkwardly slip my coat down my arms and hand it to the gentleman. He shifts his weight in an almost nervous reaction. "T...th..thank you Miss."

Alan turns to find me just realizing he left me behind. When his eyes meet mine I think they bulge out. They scan down my dress and back up to meet mine again as he walks back to me reaching his hand for me to take it.

"You look..in..incredible." His voice screeches and he quickly coughs to cover it up.

I smooth the dress and am feeling very uncomfortable. "It's too much isn't it. My roommate made it..." my words trail off but Alan interrupts me. "It's perfect." And he leads me into the ballroom.

He is quickly bombarded with other men in tuxes. I dismiss myself from the testosterone and begin exploring the place. I take my second glass of champagne. I'm looking for the pieces that will be on auction tonight but I'm not seeing them. "What the hell?" I accidentally say out loud and I hear a young lady giggle beside me.

I flush from embarrassment. I'm so fucking out of place here. "Sorry...I .."

"Lookin' for the auction items ?" She says with a bit of a southern accent

"Am I that obvious?" I laugh

"A little..they like to keep em' outta sight until they announce it. Everything is over the top here." She tells me and rolls her eyes

"Oh okay. Well thanks for the heads up."

I say to the young girl. She is beautiful. I doubt she is barely 20 though she has a glass of champagne in her hand. No judgement from me! Her eyes are beautiful shades of brown. The gold in the room make them sparkle. She has light golden hair. She's wearing a beautiful deep green gown that clings to her and looks like it was specially made for her. Though I get the feeling she isn't as stuck up as the rest of these people.

"I like to play a game at these things." She says

"Oh yeah like what?" I ask in genuine curiosity

"I predict their conversations. See over there the super old guy with white hair?"

"Yeaaa.."

"The young woman beside him is paid escort. She hates her daddy and loves the center of attention. The old guy buys her shit and she'll do just enough to him to get the gold."

I practically spit out my champagne. And she giggles. "I guess I don't predict conversations just backgrounds. You try!" She says

"Okay..that man over there.. he is a closet drunk. Control freak and is only here to get his picture taken." I say looking in the direction of a man that gives me a weird feeling. Even though is far enough away from me I can't make out his face exactly.

Her mouth falls open. "What?" I ask feeling awkward

"You are freakin' spot on!" She says and starts dying laughing

"Wait ... you know him?" I'm feeling super awkward now.

"He's my dad!" She blurts out in almost tears from laughter

"Oh my god. I'm so so sorry!" I'm pleading my apology feeling like a freaking asshole!

"No. It's fantastic! I have to tell my oldest brother this story!" She says while pulling out her phone typing.

"I'm Izzy by the way." She looks up to meet my eyes and reaches her hand out to shake. Her eyes are beautiful earthly hues and familiar.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Kami." She looks up from her phone to stare at me and cocks her to the side.

"Kami... that's an interesting name I've only heard one other time." She is eyeing me like she is trying to figure something out.

"Oh I have to go. It was nice chatting with you. I hope you have a nice evening." I say when I see Alan gesturing me to him.

"You are with Alan?" She asks in some sort of way that I can't tell if she is judging me or jealous.

"Bye Izzy." It's really none of her business either way and I don't feel like explaining myself.

AN:

What do you think of Izzy?