Chapter 17

Adam's POV

People begin coming in walking through the gallery. There are several new artist being featured tonight. And I'm suddenly nervous until I see a familiar face.

"Adam!" She runs over and wraps her arms around me.

"Hey sis, easy now." I say laughing at her affection as if she hasn't seen me in forever.

A lady with a tray of champagne comes around to offer us drinks. Izzy picks up a glass, of course.

"I don't think so." I say to her giving her a dad look. She smirks so I look at the lady and let her know Izzy is underage.

"Ugh, you seriously wreck my fun." She crosses her arms

"Are you here to see me or not?" I ask her pointing to my photos. She finally looks at them and gasps. She heads straight for the one of Kami painting at the riverwalk.

"That's Kami, this photo, it's beautiful." She says in awe taking it all in. The people around her, the background, Kami and her panting. And the man sitting next to her.

"Thanks Izzy. She never even knew I took that one."  I say stuffing my hands in my pockets

"Well I think she would love it. Truly." She says. And then something catches Izzy's attention and I see her eyes widened and mouth fall open...

Kami POV

I walk into the busy gallery. I'm so glad they have a good turn out. Immediately a lady asks if I'd like champagne. Of course I would.

This is like my happy place. Paintings of all different types, photographs, sculptures, just art everywhere. Of course the paintings are my favorite to look at. The possibilities are endless with the different styles and techniques. I think my favorite to look at is the oil paintings. Or the watercolors. Wait no, definitely the fresco paintings. This is technique is probably best known from the Sistine Chapel Ceiling.

So many beautiful pieces here already.

I felt a sudden adrenaline boost in my body. Like my heart started to ramp up. And then my eyes land on a familiar girl. Who is just as shocked to see me as I am her.

I know why I'm feeling this way. It's him, his presence. It's like I'm seeing everything in slow motion. The man standing in front of Izzy begins to turn around. And just like that familiar golden eyes meet mine after 3 long years.

His eyes are widened at the sight of me. I think of turning around to walk out but my feet are glued in place. How does this man have the same affect on me this many years later?

He slowly starts moving toward me. His eyes never leaving mine.

"K..Kami.... you came! Happy Birthday!" He stutters out with a smile forming across his face. It takes me a second to register what he said.

"You...you were expecting me?" I look at him confused but totally mesmerized. I'm getting lost in those eyes, his golden hair, he has a beard now, damn it he didn't get fat. In fact, he looks bigger like his muscles. I finally swallow hard realizing I'd be drooling if my mouth wasn't so dry.

"I .. I've been trying to... so you didn't get my email? Do you have a new number?" He asks me but I'm still distracted

Focus Kami. Focus. He asked you two questions. Focus