Chapter 16

Kami POV

I wake up feeling tired. For the last two nights I didn't get any sleep! I toss and turn thinking about the gala.

I feel like Alan lied to me to get me to go with him. I met Adam's sister. And his mother didn't even recognize me. But I think what has me restless the most, is that Izzy knew of me. Why would he even talk about me to his sister?

I finally decide to roll out of bed. It is my 22nd birthday after all. I call my dad on the apartment phone to let him know my cell isn't working. Ever since I powered it down at the gala it hasn't worked right. Not that I should be surprised since I drop it every single freaking day.

"You better cheer your ass up! We are going out tonight to celebrate." Becca demands with her excited bounce and clasps of the hands.

"I'm 22. The fun is over." I say rolling my eyes and slumping over to the couch. I'm still in my fuzzy pajama pants and button down pajama shirt. It's the coziest pjs I have. Perfect for sulking.

"So, Bec tells me you met Adam's sister at the gala?" Jason chimes in while crunching on his childlike cereal for breakfast. I see Becca give him the 'shut the f up look.'

"It's my birthday can we talk about anything else?" I plead to them

"Finnnne. What do you want to watch?" Becca asks

"The Breakfast club!" I say with the most excitement I can find.

Becca smiles. "Why did I even ask?"

I must of drifted off to sleep while watching the movie because I wake up to Becca shaking me.

"What! Damn" I rub my eyes.

"It's Alan. He is on the apartment phone." She says timidly

"Of fucking course he is." I say out loud to no one in particular

"What Alan? It's my birthday. I have a couple days off."

"I know Miss Cooper. But something has come up. I need you to look into a new gallery opening."

I breathe heavily to make my annoyance known. "Like tonight?"

"Yes. It's going to feature new artists and I want to get an upper hand in." He says all business man like. Completely avoiding the topic of the gala.

"Okay.. where?"

"Texas. You need to be on my plane in an hour." He demands

"What! Texas? Seriously?" Actually the thought of getting out of the city sounds pretty good to me.

"You know what. Never mind. That sounds great. I assume we both will be going?" Alan usually attends these kinds of things with me even though he knows nothing about the art. I think he just likes to be seen.

"Actually Kami. I'll let you handle this one. It's a Saturday night. New York City nightlife needs me." He says in his smug way. This can only mean he has a date and I'm thrilled to be traveling alone.

We hang up the phone and I go to take a shower and get ready.

"What's going on?" Becca asks before I get to the bathroom

"Turns out birthday plans are going to have to wait. I have to work tonight."

"Kami. Are you serious? He has you working all the time!" She whines

"You mean to tell me if Theresa the fashion devil called you right now you wouldn't jump at her request?" I say eyeing her because we both know the answer to that.