Chapter 19

Kami POV

Sitting on the sofa together close but too far apart. I wanted to ask him why. Why he never came to New York? Why he never fought for me? I never admitted it to myself. But I think I was always waiting for him to come back to me.

And then he says it. The thing I didn't expect. What I had wished for 3 years. That he had come to New York for me.

I don't know how to feel now. I've had everything figured out the last couple years focusing on work. To know that he had come there for me changes how I feel. I'm still aggravated that he didn't fight for me or say anything when he came there but if I had seen him with someone else like that, I would of reacted the same way.

It is our greatest flaw.

He finally asks the question I've been waiting for him to ask..if I'm dating anyone.

"No. You idiot. I'm not." I can feel his body instinctively scooting closer little by little. His glass is to his lips and he lets it linger for a moment making me think about his mouth being somewhere else.

I give him a raise eyebrow. "Are you.. dati..." before I can fully ask he interrupts me in a calm and husky voice. "Ab-sol-utely not."

The vodka is making me playful. "I should clarify. Are you married? Engaged?" I give him a playful look but I see the regret in his eyes.

He leans in a little closer. With that same sexy Texas tone. "No ma'am. I've been waiting."

My breathing picks up and I suddenly feel flushed. If I wasn't already outside. I would think I needed fresh air.

The weather has dropped a few degrees and it seems rain is coming in soon so we decide to head back. The gallery is probably closed by now and I've already been chewed out by Alan for 'not doing my job.'

I don't think I want to know how he knew I left the gallery or why he was so snippy with me. And I have the feeling Adam knows Alan but I really don't want to go down that road tonight.

As we are walking I can feel my hand inching toward his. It's like our hands have a magnetic force that we are both trying to control. I feel a few rain drops hit the top of my head. And then a freaking down pour.

I lift Adam's jacket up over my head and squeal as the cold rain hits my skin. "Get under here!" I laugh through the rain. He tries to bend down under the jacket but that's not working.

So he wraps one arm around my waist so our bodies are tight together. He holds one end of his jacket and I hold the other over our heads trying to run through the rain. The attempt to keep us both dry is failing miserably and we both laugh as we run, our bodies pressed together, through the rain.

The gallery is completely shut down so we jump into his charcoal grey midsize BMW. We are drenched and chilled. I can almost guarantee that I look like a wet rat.

"Nice car. You must do prettttty well for yourself." I say rubbing down the leather seat that can't warm up fast enough.

"Well I've worked a lot these last couple years...distracting myself." I feel a flutter in my chest. This man can't actually think I will believe he's just been waiting around on me this whole time. I mean I'm still not sure how he felt about me. I know he came to New York to be with me but I still can't imagine that he loved me.