Chapter 25

18 years+
Trigger warning of sexual assault. No details in the assault. Details leading up to it.

Kami POV

It's been a few weeks since my dads wedding. Today we are meeting Becca's 'birth mother' for the first time.

I don't know how I feel about this. I mean 22 years later and all of the sudden she wants to meet the baby she left on a doorstep?

I walk out of my room and see a fidgety Becca.
She is walking in circles it seems like she is having a conversation with herself. She's twirling her fingers and her entire body looks to be vibrating and if I know her well I know she's drank an entire pot of coffee.

"Hey!" I say to grab her attention.

"Yeah. Hi. Um, does this look okay? I mean like do I look presentable?" Wow... have the rolls reversed here.

"Are you seriously asking me my opinion on your dress? I don't think you are going to want it." She stops dead in her tracks to look at me and burst out laughing.

"Thank you for that. I needed normalcy this morning." She shakes her head and stands up taller. "I got this." Thank god, there is my Becca because I was starting to think hell froze over.

We get a cab to head to the little coffee shop in another part of town. It's too cold for an adventure on foot today.

I practically peel Becca out of the cab and I seriously consider slapping her. "Damn it Becca, get it together before I slap you." I pull on her arm to move her.

She takes a deep breath in and let's it out slowly. She stands out of the cab looks at me "are you ready yet?" She smirks.. at least her spunk is coming in and out.

It's 10am on the dot. I buy three black coffees. I have no idea how mystery woman takes her coffee and to be honest I don't give a shit. Becca and I get seated deciding she isn't here yet. I try to make small talk to distract her.

Becca begins telling me one of Jason's work stories about the project he is working on.

I see the door to the coffee shop open and a woman enters. The hair on my body stands up but not in a scared way... just in a way I can't explain. I know immediately this is the woman we are waiting on and she is Becca's mom. She looks young but a little weathered. Her hair is shoulder length, dirty blonde color and she has small blue eyes. They aren't quite as bright as Becca's but definitely similar. She has fuller lips like her and their height is close but I think this woman is taller. Her hips are wider probably with age. I get the feeling this woman was a total babe when she was Becca's age. Her eyes meet mine and she starts making her way toward us. I feel a familiarity in her presence but I guess this is the woman that gave birth to Becca.

I kick Becca under the table to shut her up and get her attention at the woman standing next to her. Becca sits up straight and slowly meets the eyes of the woman who gave birth to her.

"Ummm, Lily ? Lily Donaldson ?" Becca stutters out.

The woman, Lily, nods her head and sticks her hand out to introduce herself. They awkwardly shake hands and then Lily looks to me.

"Hi, I'm Kami Cooper, Rebecca's body guard." I shake the woman's hand. Becca immediately shoots daggers at me. This woman may be her birth mother but she could still be coo coo for coco puffs.

I shrug my shoulders at Becca's glare and sip my coffee. Lily smiles sweetly at me. Almost out of appreciation?

"Thank you for meeting me...you look...so beautiful." A tear falls from Lily's eyes.