Chapter 31

That whole scene when they're having that emotional talk reminds me of what me and a group of my friends do every year when we're at our camp.  We sit down and go over what we have learned over the year and cry it out.  It feels so much better when we get it off our chests.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

After talking with Mal, Carlos left with Varian, seeing that his twin still wasn't completely comfortable even if he shared a bit of his own struggle.  He also knew that his twin was on the verge of tears and knew that Varian would be embarrassed if he cried in front of them.  Even if there was absolutely nothing that he should be ashamed of.

After Varian cleared himself up, he decided to try and lighten the mood.  "Girl talk?  Crushed it."

Carlos chuckled.  "Yeah, except when it comes to asking Jane out."

"Carlos, let me paraphrase someone very wise.  'If she does not like you for who you are, then she is not for you.'  Right?"

The teen smiled at Varian and wrapped an arm around his twin.  "Huh, wonder who said that.  Thanks."

"Speaking of the angels, your girl is right there.  It's now never, C."  Varian gestured towards Jane.

"Then I better do it now," Carlos drew in a deep breath.  He ran to catch up with her.  "Jane!  Jane!"

Jane turned to him, her phone still on her ear. Carlos cleared his throat, calming himself.  "Jane, I was wondering if you would like to come with me to the cotillion..."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Sure, we're all takin a stress carriage down at six.  You know, the pint hoppers in the portside cabin..."

"No, I mean... with me..."  Carlos tried again.

Jane looked at him.  "Yeah, won't miss one Barry room..."

"Jane..."  Carlos gently pushed her phone off her ear, gaining her full attention.  "Will you be my date at the Cotillion?  And, if you don't absolutely hate me by the end of it, would you consider being more than just friends?"

"You mean like girlfriend and boyfriend and we get to hold hands instead of slugging each other all the time and we can text and I can tell you how great you are because, Carlos, you're really really great and I'm the luckiest girl and the world and you're so nice and cute..." Jane was talking all in one breath.

"Me to!  I'm the luckiest girl-er-I mean guy... I'm the luckiest guy in the world..."

Jane threw her arms around him into a hug.  It was a definite yes.  Carlos looked up to see Varian a few yards away, giving a thumbs up.  Carlos smiled.  He finally did it.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Carlos and Varian walked through the halls.  They stopped when they noticed their dorm room door was opened.  They groaned.  "Chad..."  When they walked into the doorway, they found Chad sprawled across the floor and talking on the phone.

"Chad-" Carlos started.

The prince held his finger up, telling them to give him a moment.  "Audrey has a flat tire in Sherwood Forest, she wants me to come help her."

"Chad, that's six hours away," Carlos pointed out.

"Really?  Only six?  Hold on Audrey, I'm gonna be there sooner than I thought!"  He kissed his phone and dashed out the room.

"You know, Chad my not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but he is the most devoted person to his girl I've ever seen.  I don't who that Audrey girl is, but she's got herself a good one," Varian commented.

"Huh, I guess you're right.  He would be good husband..." Carlos agreed after some thought.

"He was willing to drive to the ends of the earth for her.  What more does she need?"

"The earth is round," Carlos teased.

"My point exactly.  He'd look for the ends of the earth."

"Ah..."

Just wanted to point out that I wasn't a fan of Chad, but he earned my respect in the second movie in that scene.  He was willing to drive more than six hours to help her and I absolutely hated Audrey for treating him so cruelly in the second movie.  Yeah, he's not the best guy, but he deserves someone better than Audrey.  Someone who'd appreciate his devotion and maybe keep him on the right track.