Chapter 8

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is October 14, 2020. You know how I said I was researching shifting. I spent like an hour and a half researching methods, definitions, and questions. Today, I'm going to dive into where it came from. Who discovered it? OW SORRY I JUST CAME BACK I JUST STARTED MY PERIOD GOSH FREAKING DARN IT IT OK LOVE YOU ENJOY

OW

Billy climbs to the top of the lifeguard chair, sweating viciously. The wives wave flirtatiously at him. Sun blinds him and he shrinks into the shade as much as he can. 

After about 10 minutes, he feels a tingling sensation creeping up his arm. He looks down and sees a large sun blister with black veins trickling throughout him. He stumbles down the chair and into the shower rooms. 

Finding the last shower, he turns it on and lets the cold water drip throughout his curls and soothe his aching skin.

Pain suddenly overtakes Billy, and he collapses to his knees, screaming out in pain. Y/n flashes through his thoughts. 

Footsteps approach him and the other lifeguard, Heather, pulls the shower curtain back. "Billy, are you okay? Billy? Billy?" She sinks to her knees in front of him. 

"Take me to him," she says in a deep voice. He blinks his eyes rapidly. 

"W-what?"

"I said, are you hurt? What's going on? I heard screaming."

He says nothing, but stares at her. 

"Should I call an ambulance? Billy?"

Billy grabs her by the hair and slams her head into the side of the shower. She claws at the shower curtain as he hits her head until she loses consciousness.

\--/

"Wait, that last part, just one more time," Robin says.

Dustin rewinds it. "Okay, that word. Um... It's pronounced... "dly-nna-ya." Which is spelled... D... D, D, D..." Y/n walks over to the white board. 

"The... The chair. The chair-looking thingy!" They continue to relisten to the tape and piece together words. Robin places down the marker to reveal a sentance. "We did it!" Y/n hugs Robin eagerly. 

"You did it!" Robin blushes. Y/n hops over the counter to where Steve is slinging ice cream 

"We've got our first sentence."

"Oh, seriously?" He asks. 

"Yep. 'The week is long,'" she says in a horrible Russian accent. 

Steve looks at her with a blank, disappointed face. "Well, that's thrilling."

She chuckles a little. "I know. But, progress."

Suddenly, Eleven and Max walk through the door. "My girls!" Y/n squeals, hugging them tightly. "Wait a second. I thought you hated her?" She asks El. 

She shrugs. "She is my friend."

Y/n smiles. "YES!" She punches the air. "I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN!" She turns to Steve. "Feed them."

Max smirks to herself. "Eleven dumped Mike."

Y/n's jaw dropped. "What?? Why?"

"He lied. Friend's don't lie."

Y/n hugs her again. "Jeez, honey, I'm sorry. We all should get together soon. A proper slumber party."

"Slumber party?" El asks.

"I'll explain it," Max says.

Steve gets their orders and hands it to them.

"Hold up. Are you even allowed to be here?" He asks them. They look at each other and giggle, running out. 

Y/n laughs softly. 

Steve smiles at her. "You would be such a good mom."

Y/n blushes. "I hope."

\--/

Y/n and Robin study the white board thoroughly. "The week is long. The silver cat feeds when blue meets yellow in the west," Robin reads.

Y/n groans, frustrated. "I mean, it just... it just can't be right."

"It's right," Robin confirms.

"It's total nonsense," Steve says.

"It's not nonsense. It's too specific. It's obviously a code," Robin explains. 

"What do you mean, a code? Like a super secret spy code."

"That's a total stretch," Steve says. 

"I don't know, is it?" Y/n asks skeptically.

"You're buying into this?" He asks accusatory.

Everyone packs up their belongings and begins locking up the parlor. "Listen, just for kicks, let's entertain the possibility that it is a secret Russian transmission. What'd you think they were gonna say, 'Fire the warhead at noon'?" Y/n asks.

"Exactly," Robin agrees. "And my translation is correct. I know that for sure, so... 'The silver cat feeds.' Why would anyone talk like that unless they're trying to mask the meaning of their message?"

"Why would anyone mask the true meaning of their message unless the message was somehow sensitive?" Y/n furthers. She turns to Dustin. "So I guess that confirms your suspicion." 

"Evil Russians," he grins to himself.

Robin snickers to herself. "I can't believe I'm about to agree with this strange child, but, yeah, totally evil Russians."

"So how do we crack it?" Steve asks. 

"Well, I guess we translate the rest and hopefully a pattern emerges."

"A pattern. Right, like maybe 'silver cat' is a meeting place?"

"Or a person."

"Or a weapon."

A silence falls over the group. "It's probably gonna take a super genius to crack it, but..." Y/n trails off. "Where's Steve?" She turns around to see him crouching beside a carnival ride. 

"Hey, Steve. What are you doing?"

"Uh, it's a quarter. I need... Do you have a quarter?" He mumbles. 

"Sure you're tall enough for that ride?" Y/n jokes.

"Quarter!" He yells. She chucks a quarter his way. 

"You need help getting up, little Stevie?" Robin pikes.

"Would you two just shut up and listen?!"

"Holy shit," Y/n breathes, catching on. "The music. The music!"

Robin sighs. "I don't understand."

"It's the exact same song on the recording," Y/n says.

Maybe they have horses like this in Russia."

Steve flicks the label. "'Indiana Flyer'? I don't think so."

Y/n clutches Steve's hnd. :This code, it... didn't come from Russia. It came from here."

 THERES SO MUCH BLOOD OH MY GOD